1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Ks I900

mtbr member
    May 2010

Ks I900

Im planning on getting one, my question is that the 300mm length is that from end to end when it is compress? I havent seen one in person only in picture so Im a little hesitant on getting one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am sure the are talking about 300mm extended. They make the I950R in a 385 mm length also (that's the one I am using and I extremely happy with it)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the reply that really help, I have a favor to ask you if you dont mind, can you measure the extended and compress for your I950.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    its 385mm about 15-1/4 inch (thats what she said)

It drops 125 mm

T.W.O.
    What bike are you putting the KS on?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks so much El_D

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm putting it in a small Reign

T.W.O.
    You should be fine why the 900 not 950 do you need the offset?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm more concern on the measurement when the post is compress, I'm a short dude with only 27 inseam. I want to be able to drop the seat as low as possible when im going down hill.
    According to the measurement El_D said, a 950 should be okay for me.

T.W.O.
    That's was the feeling I get when I first read the post. Ok here's the pic. I don't know how much you can drop your post before Reign seat tube curve. If you need other number let me know. The pic shown with both 900 and 950.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks mimi for the pictures, if I understand this pictures right the lenght of the bottom portion of the I950 would be 9 1/2 inches, correct me if I'm wrong. I'll measure my current post when I get home but im pretty sure I950 will work for me, again thanks for the pictures

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by nubijo
    Thanks mimi for the pictures, if I understand this pictures right the lenght of the bottom portion of the I950 would be 9 1/2 inches, correct me if I'm wrong. I'll measure my current post when I get home but im pretty sure I950 will work for me, again thanks for the pictures
    Actually the the bottom insert about 8" or 200mm because of the collar. You'll have to deal with about 67mm from the rail to the red cap.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oh yeah your right, so when its compress all the way it should measure 11 inches from where to rail will attach to the bottom of the post, am I right?

T.W.O.
    Just about 11" you should be fine. Check your measurement if you come up short there's a couple of solution you can go with.

Get the i7r 100mm drop it's 27.2 but you can get the 30.9 shim it would solve your problem, if you have any clearance or full extension problems. I have pic for that measurement as well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    mimi, on the first pictures you post, the one on the bottom left corner, is that a extra tubing that can be cut and will cause no problem if it were cut off. I measure my current post last night and my post was about 9 inches long.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by nubijo
    mimi, on the first pictures you post, the one on the bottom left corner, is that a extra tubing that can be cut and will cause no problem if it were cut off. I measure my current post last night and my post was about 9 inches long.
    No actually that was the Joplin3 not the KS even Joplin4 can not be cut anymore. If your post has 9" of insertion then you have no problem at all.