1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Kona tend to snap in half?

How do you guys think? I have heard a lot of bad stories against Kona. It kinda hold me back from buying a discounted fire mountain. Is there a problem with their design & welding?

mtbr member
    Not anymore so than any other bike company. How many stories is "a lot," and who are these stories coming from?

mtbr member
    Yes, Konas snap in half and explode in a glorious and horrific blast if you ride them too hard.

Nickel Havr
    I've seen a Stinky huck a 40ft gap...
    Gotta be tough to handle that!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Not anymore so than any other bike company. How many stories is "a lot," and who are these stories coming from?
    Do a search on google of ôkona snapped", and then something like" specialized snapped" or "giant snapped". You will get the idea.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    How do you guys think? I have heard a lot of bad stories against Kona. It kinda hold me back from buying a discounted fire mountain. Is there a problem with their design & welding?
    Where did you hear about it. There's no doubt there are a few that broke but a lot? It'd be more like people repeating the same few stories they hear. If Kona is known to snap then they'd be out of business already.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Where did you hear about it. There's no doubt there are a few that broke but a lot? It'd be more like people repeating the same few stories they hear. If Kona is known to snap then they'd be out of business already.

I would like to think that way, but just can't figure out why there are more pics and posts about snapped kona than snapped specialized or giant? try to search it yourself

Perhaps kona make super strong frames that encourage to do things they won't do on a specialized or giant?

T.W.O.
    I would like to think that way, but just can't figure out why there are more pics and posts about snapped kona than snapped specialized or giant? try to search it yourself

Perhaps kona make super strong frames that encourage to do things they won't do on a specialized or giant?
    What kind of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What kind of riding do you do?

Trail, plus a bit pavement. No crazy dirt jump or downhill. But I do enjoy ride fast on downhill section.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There are a lot of documented stories about Kona's snapping, but I would attribute that to the fact that from what I've seen Kona owners tend to put the bikes through a lot more abuse than say Giants or Treks. The Kona brand seems to be associated with bikes that can take big jumps.

Needless to say every Youtube video I've seen of a Kona snapping was pretty obviously due to a bad landing and would have destroyed any bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not all Konas snap in half.
    Some will snap in thirds and fourths.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Buy and ride a Kona with the same confidence you would any other brand.

T.W.O.
    Pick the right tool for the job and use as intended. It will not break. None if my frames break yet and I'm a klutz. If you try to huck a 5 footer to a flat landing on an xc bike well you are asking for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Pick the right tool for the job and use as intended. It will not break. None if my frames break yet and I'm a klutz. If you try to huck a 5 footer to a flat landing on an xc bike well you are asking for it.

I think the highest drop here is around 2 feet. do you think fire mountain can hold itself facing that?

T.W.O.
    I think the highest drop here is around 2 feet. do you think fire mountain can hold itself facing that?
    How's your landing skill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How's your landing skill.
    just beginner

Flow like water
    Why don't you read the reviews. This is Mountain Bike Reviews, after all. Go do some reading, and get back to us. Or you can wait until we do the reading for you...

I actually did a Google search, and it lead back here to the reviews on this site.
    Homework, Junior.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Kona has been producing DH & Freeride frames before most other companies got in the game. Kona sells thousands of frame builds at a relatively lower cost than their competition. Kona was and still is the "go-to" fleet bike supplier for many Bike Park resorts.

So, a very long history in the DH & Freeride scene, combined with price points that gets quality bikes into the hands of the masses and supplying hundreds, if not thousands, of bikes for resorts around the world will no doubt see incidents of frame failures.

One needs to research the ratio of frames delivered to market vs frame failures and use this simple equation of "apples-to-apples" approach to understand that Kona bikes, in general, are not more prone to failure than other manufacturers frames.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Why don't you read the reviews. This is Mountain Bike Reviews, after all. Go do some reading, and get back to us. Or you can wait until we do the reading for you...

I actually did a Google search, and it lead back here to the reviews on this site.
    Homework, Junior.
    How do you know I didn't?

I saw people praise the solid frame. But how could a manufacturer that has a reputation of bad quality make an indestructible bike? Besides, I'm not sure what is their idea of "solid", since the trail they mentioned could be some unpaved flat surface like the one closest to me. So shouldn't I ask people who has more experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    Kona has been producing DH & Freeride frames before most other companies got in the game. Kona sells thousands of frame builds at a relatively lower cost than their competition. Kona was and still is the "go-to" fleet bike supplier for many Bike Park resorts.

So, a very long history in the DH & Freeride scene, combined with price points that gets quality bikes into the hands of the masses and supplying hundreds, if not thousands, of bikes for resorts around the world will no doubt see incidents of frame failures.

One needs to research the ratio of frames delivered to market vs frame failures and use this simple equation of "apples-to-apples" approach to understand that Kona bikes, in general, are not more prone to failure than other manufacturers frames.
    Didn't saw many kona before, so I assume it is a much smaller manufacturer. If kona downhill bikes are really that popular, then I won't be surprised why there are many frame failure

T.W.O.
    How do you know I didn't?

I saw people praise the solid frame. But how could a manufacturer that has a reputation of bad quality make an indestructible bike? Besides, I'm not sure what is their idea of "solid", since the trail they mentioned could be some unpaved flat surface like the one closest to me. So shouldn't I ask people who has more experience?

Didn't saw many kona before, so I assume it is a much smaller manufacturer. If kona downhill bikes are really that popular, then I won't be surprised why there are many frame failure
    Then you have more reading to do.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You've let internet rumor cloud your judgement and predispose you toward a negative view of Kona bikes.

There is no such thing as an indestructible bike.

ALL bikes from any brand can break, will break, and have broken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaz82 View Post
    You've let internet rumor cloud your judgement and predispose you toward a negative view of Kona bikes.

There is no such thing as an indestructible bike.

ALL bikes from any brand can break, will break, and have broken.
    Of course, just some break more often than the other

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Again, I think you're letting the bias of information dictate your perception.

There is no information whatsoever that indicates that Kona's snap more often than others. When you consider the huge amount of Kona Stinky frames still being sold and used without issue I think you'd find the failure rate is rather low.

Aside from that, you also need to consider the actual failure and how it happened. Every case of Kona frame failure I've seen the frame DID NOT break at the welds. In fact every case I've seen on youtube was either:

1)The fork failed. Kona doesn't make the forks so this is hardly their fault.
    2)The downtube snaps. This happens when you case a landing, hard and will snap the downtube of ANY bike due to the stresses the head tube angle puts on the downtube when you land front wheel first.

For what it's worth, I don't own nor will I ever own a Kona bike so my opinion isn't influence by the "my brand is better" bias. Not because I have a problem with them, but simply because the Kona name comes at a premium price that I'm not willing to pay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    No snap if the frame is steel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by junaidi View Post
    No snap if the frame is steel.
    Trust me, that's been proven false time and again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast