Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48

    Kona tend to snap in half?

    How do you guys think? I have heard a lot of bad stories against Kona. It kinda hold me back from buying a discounted fire mountain. Is there a problem with their design & welding?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    369
    Not anymore so than any other bike company. How many stories is "a lot," and who are these stories coming from?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    69
    Yes, Konas snap in half and explode in a glorious and horrific blast if you ride them too hard.

  4. #4
    Nickel Havr
    Reputation: Eckstream1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,177
    I've seen a Stinky huck a 40ft gap...
    Gotta be tough to handle that!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Not anymore so than any other bike company. How many stories is "a lot," and who are these stories coming from?
    Do a search on google of “kona snapped", and then something like" specialized snapped" or "giant snapped". You will get the idea.

  6. #6
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    How do you guys think? I have heard a lot of bad stories against Kona. It kinda hold me back from buying a discounted fire mountain. Is there a problem with their design & welding?
    Where did you hear about it. There's no doubt there are a few that broke but a lot? It'd be more like people repeating the same few stories they hear. If Kona is known to snap then they'd be out of business already.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Where did you hear about it. There's no doubt there are a few that broke but a lot? It'd be more like people repeating the same few stories they hear. If Kona is known to snap then they'd be out of business already.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I would like to think that way, but just can't figure out why there are more pics and posts about snapped kona than snapped specialized or giant? try to search it yourself

    Perhaps kona make super strong frames that encourage to do things they won't do on a specialized or giant?

  8. #8
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    I would like to think that way, but just can't figure out why there are more pics and posts about snapped kona than snapped specialized or giant? try to search it yourself

    Perhaps kona make super strong frames that encourage to do things they won't do on a specialized or giant?
    What kind of riding do you do?


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    What kind of riding do you do?


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Trail, plus a bit pavement. No crazy dirt jump or downhill. But I do enjoy ride fast on downhill section.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    68
    There are a lot of documented stories about Kona's snapping, but I would attribute that to the fact that from what I've seen Kona owners tend to put the bikes through a lot more abuse than say Giants or Treks. The Kona brand seems to be associated with bikes that can take big jumps.

    Needless to say every Youtube video I've seen of a Kona snapping was pretty obviously due to a bad landing and would have destroyed any bike.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    133
    Not all Konas snap in half.
    Some will snap in thirds and fourths.

  12. #12
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,553
    Buy and ride a Kona with the same confidence you would any other brand.

  13. #13
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Pick the right tool for the job and use as intended. It will not break. None if my frames break yet and I'm a klutz. If you try to huck a 5 footer to a flat landing on an xc bike well you are asking for it.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Pick the right tool for the job and use as intended. It will not break. None if my frames break yet and I'm a klutz. If you try to huck a 5 footer to a flat landing on an xc bike well you are asking for it.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I think the highest drop here is around 2 feet. do you think fire mountain can hold itself facing that?

  15. #15
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    I think the highest drop here is around 2 feet. do you think fire mountain can hold itself facing that?
    How's your landing skill.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    How's your landing skill.
    just beginner

  17. #17
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    I think the highest drop here is around 2 feet. do you think fire mountain can hold itself facing that?
    Why don't you read the reviews. This is Mountain Bike Reviews, after all. Go do some reading, and get back to us. Or you can wait until we do the reading for you...

    I actually did a Google search, and it lead back here to the reviews on this site.
    Homework, Junior.

  18. #18
    Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Reputation: Boulder Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,461
    Kona has been producing DH & Freeride frames before most other companies got in the game. Kona sells thousands of frame builds at a relatively lower cost than their competition. Kona was and still is the "go-to" fleet bike supplier for many Bike Park resorts.

    So, a very long history in the DH & Freeride scene, combined with price points that gets quality bikes into the hands of the masses and supplying hundreds, if not thousands, of bikes for resorts around the world will no doubt see incidents of frame failures.

    One needs to research the ratio of frames delivered to market vs frame failures and use this simple equation of "apples-to-apples" approach to understand that Kona bikes, in general, are not more prone to failure than other manufacturers frames.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Why don't you read the reviews. This is Mountain Bike Reviews, after all. Go do some reading, and get back to us. Or you can wait until we do the reading for you...

    I actually did a Google search, and it lead back here to the reviews on this site.
    Homework, Junior.
    How do you know I didn't?

    I saw people praise the solid frame. But how could a manufacturer that has a reputation of bad quality make an indestructible bike? Besides, I'm not sure what is their idea of "solid", since the trail they mentioned could be some unpaved flat surface like the one closest to me. So shouldn't I ask people who has more experience?



    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    Kona has been producing DH & Freeride frames before most other companies got in the game. Kona sells thousands of frame builds at a relatively lower cost than their competition. Kona was and still is the "go-to" fleet bike supplier for many Bike Park resorts.

    So, a very long history in the DH & Freeride scene, combined with price points that gets quality bikes into the hands of the masses and supplying hundreds, if not thousands, of bikes for resorts around the world will no doubt see incidents of frame failures.

    One needs to research the ratio of frames delivered to market vs frame failures and use this simple equation of "apples-to-apples" approach to understand that Kona bikes, in general, are not more prone to failure than other manufacturers frames.
    Didn't saw many kona before, so I assume it is a much smaller manufacturer. If kona downhill bikes are really that popular, then I won't be surprised why there are many frame failure

  20. #20
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    How do you know I didn't?

    I saw people praise the solid frame. But how could a manufacturer that has a reputation of bad quality make an indestructible bike? Besides, I'm not sure what is their idea of "solid", since the trail they mentioned could be some unpaved flat surface like the one closest to me. So shouldn't I ask people who has more experience?





    Didn't saw many kona before, so I assume it is a much smaller manufacturer. If kona downhill bikes are really that popular, then I won't be surprised why there are many frame failure
    Then you have more reading to do.


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    68
    You've let internet rumor cloud your judgement and predispose you toward a negative view of Kona bikes.

    There is no such thing as an indestructible bike.

    ALL bikes from any brand can break, will break, and have broken.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaz82 View Post
    You've let internet rumor cloud your judgement and predispose you toward a negative view of Kona bikes.

    There is no such thing as an indestructible bike.

    ALL bikes from any brand can break, will break, and have broken.
    Of course, just some break more often than the other

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    68
    Again, I think you're letting the bias of information dictate your perception.

    There is no information whatsoever that indicates that Kona's snap more often than others. When you consider the huge amount of Kona Stinky frames still being sold and used without issue I think you'd find the failure rate is rather low.

    Aside from that, you also need to consider the actual failure and how it happened. Every case of Kona frame failure I've seen the frame DID NOT break at the welds. In fact every case I've seen on youtube was either:

    1)The fork failed. Kona doesn't make the forks so this is hardly their fault.
    2)The downtube snaps. This happens when you case a landing, hard and will snap the downtube of ANY bike due to the stresses the head tube angle puts on the downtube when you land front wheel first.

    For what it's worth, I don't own nor will I ever own a Kona bike so my opinion isn't influence by the "my brand is better" bias. Not because I have a problem with them, but simply because the Kona name comes at a premium price that I'm not willing to pay.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13
    No snap if the frame is steel.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,663
    Quote Originally Posted by junaidi View Post
    No snap if the frame is steel.
    Trust me, that's been proven false time and again

  26. #26
    Bicycle Radical
    Reputation: scorchedearth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    I think the highest drop here is around 2 feet. do you think fire mountain can hold itself facing that?
    I've landed some 1 or 2 foot jumps on my Fire Mountain without issues. Learn how to land properly and you should be fine.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

  27. #27
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,119
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Buy and ride a Kona with the same confidence you would any other brand.
    This a hundred times over.

    But if you must feel better about your meaningless internet searches, look up "snapped" or "broken" Gary Fishers; that ought to make you feel better about Kona. And for what it's worth, I've beaten my two Fishers for 16 and 7 years, respectively with absolutely no issue; and I am not kind to bicycles.

    People don't make internet postings telling you how their frames didn't break so you're only getting to see the negative end of things. I just did a quick search on "Kona Fire Mountain break" and the only results were people telling you it "won't break the bank" or people who can't spell brake right. I think you're going to be fine.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  28. #28
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    I usually have to sneak up on Konas very carefully, because sometimes they just break in half as soon as they see me coming........
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    794
    Well if a 350 lb Clyde friend of mine can huck with his hoss for 7 years and not crack his frame I'd say they are pretty tough frames.
    It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."

  30. #30
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by junaidi View Post
    No snap if the frame is steel.
    I have snapped a lot of steel frames when I was younger.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,842
    I beat the crap out of my Kona Dawg Supreme, has taken a beating for 7 years under my 235 lb butt, yes they stink. Great service and customer support. Would buy another in a minute.

  32. #32
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    I usually have to sneak up on Konas very carefully, because sometimes they just break in half as soon as they see me coming........
    Did you hold your breath? It helps

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    looks like I have been seriously misled by the information I saw online... Appreciate all of you for correcting me


    Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    I've landed some 1 or 2 foot jumps on my Fire Mountain without issues. Learn how to land properly and you should be fine.
    I do have a question about that. When I read a thread teaching people how to land a bike, it said one should always land with two wheels together. But on the video following, as well as some other demonstration on youtube, there are also some people land with their rear wheel first (not that much like a trial bike, but you can still notice it). So I wondering if there is a different between those two technologies? And which way would suit HT bike better?

  34. #34
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Technology?
    If the landing is a slope (transition) not flat then landing both wheel together is not a bad thing but if it's flat then you want to land the rear first then let the front touch down, or risk getting ejected from the front on the landing, the term superman comes to mind.. Landing rear first also smoother than both wheel together.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LarryWallwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    129
    Maybe the OP should read, Kona owners are more likely to break their bikes in two.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Technology?
    If the landing is a slope (transition) not flat then landing both wheel together is not a bad thing but if it's flat then you want to land the rear first then let the front touch down, or risk getting ejected from the front on the landing, the term superman comes to mind.. Landing rear first also smoother than both wheel together.
    Very helpful, thanks

    Haha, I mean technique. Just finished an essay about technologies. That word is all over my head now

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    51
    well ive just broken my kona frame a couple weeks back . 12 years, dont know how much mileage, untold fun and a bit of pain.

    it cracked at the head tube about 60 miles into a century trail ride.


    so I went out and bought another kona.

    dont sweat it dude, every bike is breakable, but if you use them in the manner they were designed then you shouldnt have any issues.

  38. #38
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,687
    you have Kona confused with Cannondale...


  39. #39
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    you have Kona confused with Cannondale...
    Oh No! You didn't

  40. #40
    Nickel Havr
    Reputation: Eckstream1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,948
    Theres a lot of broken konas because theres a lot of konas out there, period. They have a reputation for being extremely strong frames, and they are... so people ride them for years and years, extremely hard.

    Everything aluminum will break eventually. Konas seem to hold out longer than most, and kona owners tend to ride them harder and longer.

  42. #42
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,272

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by zskf1 View Post
    How do you guys think? I have heard a lot of bad stories against Kona. It kinda hold me back from buying a discounted fire mountain. Is there a problem with their design & welding?
    we have two crmo steel HTs from Kona, one of them, the Lavadome, gets a lot of use, including XC racing, now having a130mm fork with a frame designed for a 50mm.

    I'd glady buy another steel HT from Kona.

    We also have a Kona al. FS bike that has been raced several seasons: Still rockin'
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Greeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    41
    I am 6ft tall and weigh around 200lbs. Pretty sure my lack of technique beats up my bike pretty bad...mine hasn't broken!

    Kona Mahuna 2011


  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    you have Kona confused with Cannondale...
    Think he is confused with TREK. my buddy has a Superfly and if you look at it wrong it snaps. He is on his 5th frame.

  45. #45
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    I've seen a Stinky huck a 40ft gap...
    Gotta be tough to handle that!
    I didn't realize anyone was watching me do that.....

  46. #46
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,842
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Theres a lot of broken konas because theres a lot of konas out there, period. They have a reputation for being extremely strong frames, and they are... so people ride them for years and years, extremely hard.

    Everything aluminum will break eventually. Konas seem to hold out longer than most, and kona owners tend to ride them harder and longer.
    ding ding ding we have a winner

    Say bike co's have a 0.5% failure rate.....someone like Kona or Giant or Trek will have larger numbers of frame failures compared to some little shop that makes & sells a few hundred a year....

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    96
    This happened to my buddy not more than a week ago. It's a 2012 Kona blast, it happened on his way to class, on pavement...


  48. #48
    Dianetics Junior
    Reputation: CBizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    171
    DUDE!.....did he get hit by a car??....attacked by a great white??...

    .....seriously I hope he is OK...that is gnarly.....

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    96
    Lol! First thing I asked was if a bear attacked him. He says he was just riding it to class, was climbing a steep hill standing up, and next thing he knows he's faceplanting the ground.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Noobi-Wan Kenobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    491
    My '06 Fire Mountain is still going strong. I don't think there's anything wrong with Kona.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •