1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

kona splice vs trek Marlin

Picking up my first mountain bike this week. Went to a couple bike shops around town and liked the Kona Splice and the Trek Marlin. Both were around the same price and liked the ride of both. I don't know much about bikes which one has better specs. I have been reading this thread for hours and could not find much info on Kona Splice. Any help would be great thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Splice has some road/hybrid components like 48/38/28 triple and 1.9" tires. Both have Suntour bike path forks.

mtbr member
    More info is needed.
    - Where do you want to go with this bike?
    - What is your budget?
    - What brands do your LBS carry?
    - What is your weight?

Blind taste test.... I say go with the Marlin.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    To be honest. I will be riding it on the road with my 9 year old daughter half the time and some light trails on the weekend. Not really sure how far I am going to get into it. Just did not want to get a walmart bike. Wanted something that i would enjoy for at least a year or two until I decide if I need a better bike. Living in Vegas it seems I have a lot of bike shops here also have been looking at craigslist. One of my local bike shops has 13 marlin's going for $569.00 which sounded like a good deal.
    I am 5ft 7 1/2 and weigh about 175 inseem 29, I rode the Marlin 17.5 and 15.5 and both felt fine. Which size do you think would be a better choice? I am so new to riding I can't tell any difference when I rode it. Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    If you are going to get on trails at all I would recommend the Marlin over the splice. Your weight shouldn't be an issue with an entry level bike either. If you were a clyde an entry level bike wouldn't fair as well. As for size, I would defer to what is hopefully the competent bike shop you have been to. Leg and torso length as well as personal preference weigh into which size you should go with if you are in the middle of two sizes. They SHOULD be able to put you on the right bike and/or get you the right stem to make it fit you better. I would personally go the larger size with a shorter stem but that is my preference.

EDIT: you might make a post in the Nevada forum to ask about recommended bike shops that will be noob friendly in the Vegas area. There are good ones and some not so good ones in every city.
    Nevada

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Marlin and love it. I've been riding it hard though and need a new shock. I'm also only 5'8 and went with the 15.5. I could ride the 17.5 but I dont have any standover....kinda stand next to if you catch my drift. If i have to bail off the bike I'd rather be on a smaller frame. Personal preference though.

The Marlin has G2 geometry which will make it handle differently. Ride both in different settings to feel the difference. Ride some small figure 8's in the parking lot and then some longer harder runs.

mtbr member
    I was in the same spot last year. I hadn't owned a bike in years, and wanted to get a good bike. Well, I went with the Splice. I love the bike and the ride. On the other hand, I ended up liking single track a LOT more than I thought I would. Right now I'm waiting on my new fork, and have already done a lot of upgrades. At this point I plan on saving up for a bike more suited to my riding style (fairly aggressive) and only buying parts for my splice as needed due to wear or breakage.
    If you aren't gonna go crazy on the trails the Splice is a fine bike. If I had bothered to go out with a couple of friends on a borrowed/rented bike to hit the trails first and found out how much I would like it I might have saved up and jumped up a couple levels in components.
    I'm 6'2" and 220#

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks so much guys for the help. I will be picking up the Marlin this week. I will ride them both again and see which one feels more comfortable but got a feeling I will be leaning towards the 15.5 from what I have been reading on the forums the 17.5 the boys do touch and I may want another child in the future.

mtbr member
    Have the shop help you "fit" the bike. I'm having some minor seat issues because I want my seat a little farther back due to the smaller frame. Still would rather deal with that then not having any stand over