1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Kona Lana'i stem adjustment

I need to raise a handle bars a bit, but I se no way of adjustment available.
    How do I raise the stem?
    All I see inside it is a sort of locknut but it is not the one that will loosen up the stem.
    Is it adjustable at all?
    There is no common hex hardware on this headset so what kind of tools is meant to be used here?
    Thanks for any comment!!

I post too much.
    A picture would help. If you have some spacers overtop of the stem, you can remove them and place them under the stem. If not, then there is no way to raise the stem, you will have to buy a new one with more rise or buy new handlebars with more rise.

Calm Like a Bomb
    do u have any spacers above your stem that u could put under the stem to raise everything up?...pics???
    Carbon Wilson
    Carbon Troy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ok, now you have explained my dilemma. Since ALL the spacers are already placed below I am out off luck.
    I guess I will start looking into a handlebar ends extensions.

Calm Like a Bomb
    handlebar end extensions to raise the bar up?...u would have to get a stem with a greater angle or get some handlebars with more rise to them (as snaky69 mentioned)
    Carbon Wilson
    Carbon Troy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I feel like I just need a litle higher grip to have more comfort.
    I am 6'2" and the frame is 20". The seat to pedals feels fine.
    Just want to ride sitting little more upright not bent over the bars as much.