1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Kona Hoss.. V Brakes?

Hi, I'm new.. how r u?

I'm hoping to buy a Kona hoss 2005 frame to build on (with other bits a pieces and in need of a re-spray)..

I've got a whole tekro v brake kit, front and back.. bought before I spied a frame.

here's the thing.. it's got mounts for canti's / v brakes.. this confused me as I'm syure this was a disc only frame, the posts are missing though..so, need some new ones.. you know.. the post mount studs that screw into the frame that the brakes then mount on (the net in genral seems to offer very little advice on these)..

my question is, they come in all kinds a sizes.. I know i need a 10mm one but no idea what pitch.. the guy selling the frame says they're all the same but I've found 4 main thread pitches on offer..1... 1.25.. 1.5..

is one common, maybe 1.25pitch?

any info at all welocomed.. like, how comes the Hoss has the mounts in the first place.

Thanks
    Rob

Slick Rick
    reflex88,

Try posting that question here : http://www.konaworld.com/owners_area/

It's Kona's own forum for tech support

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Been trying to do that all day :-(

whenever i click post in technical help it takes me to a blank screen and nothing happens with my post.. at home, and work!

bum!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Kona Rule! Ok?

Just a teeny update.

I emailed Kona UK asking the size and they've replied telling me that they'll pop some in the post for me!

so, yeah KONA RULE..

Thier after sales is awesome/.. this must be a 3rd user frame from 2005 and they'll still help if they can!

I can already tell you the brand of my next bike (when my franken-Hoss falls apart).. KONA!

Rob :-)

Slick Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex88
    Been trying to do that all day :-(

whenever i click post in technical help it takes me to a blank screen and nothing happens with my post.. at home, and work!

bum!
    it takes a while, once you submit your post and nothing happens, just come back and check it 20 mins later.

I think they do that to stop spam, each post is checked before submitted.