1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Kona Fire Mountain Woes

Hello Everyone! I love this board and this is my first post. SO MUCH INFO! its great.

So, I bought a 2006 Kona Fire Mountain. I am an Ex-street BMXer. I am 220lbs and 6'1". And i was bunny hopping my new bike, I didn't do any drops or anything like that, and my bunny hop is 5-6 inches if that. I rode it for probly 3-4hours I had it for 2 days and The crank broke right where it connects to the spindle, and i had to walk a couple miles with a crank arm in my hand! Well I have a good LBS that I bought the bike from and they told me that I could not ride this bike like I was. I was disapointed a hole sh!tload! But they took it back and I ordered a Kona Shred that will be here on Monday or Tuesday.

SO

My question is was this a normallity for this model, or did I get a wack crank set? Has anyone else had this problem?

Either way I will like the shred better, since I demoed the Kona Scrap they had there and liked it.

If this is normal for this Model Buyer beware!!!!

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Tang
    Hello Everyone! I love this board and this is my first post. SO MUCH INFO! its great.

So, I bought a 2006 Kona Fire Mountain. I am an Ex-street BMXer. I am 220lbs and 6'1". And i was bunny hopping my new bike, I didn't do any drops or anything like that, and my bunny hop is 5-6 inches if that. I rode it for probly 3-4hours I had it for 2 days and The crank broke right where it connects to the spindle, and i had to walk a couple miles with a crank arm in my hand! Well I have a good LBS that I bought the bike from and they told me that I could not ride this bike like I was. I was disapointed a hole sh!tload! But they took it back and I ordered a Kona Shred that will be here on Monday or Tuesday.

SO

My question is was this a normallity for this model, or did I get a wack crank set? Has anyone else had this problem?

Either way I will like the shred better, since I demoed the Kona Scrap they had there and liked it.

If this is normal for this Model Buyer beware!!!!

no it is not normal for a crank to break like that...that said a 200 pound guy hopping 5-6inches in the air on a cross country bike is likely to cause some troubles...the shred will hold up much better

Next time you are looking for a bike head over to the cyldes forum...and see what they have to say about a bike

DMR