mtbr member
    May 2006

Kona Fire Mountain Woes

Hello Everyone! I love this board and this is my first post. SO MUCH INFO! its great.

So, I bought a 2006 Kona Fire Mountain. I am an Ex-street BMXer. I am 220lbs and 6'1". And i was bunny hopping my new bike, I didn't do any drops or anything like that, and my bunny hop is 5-6 inches if that. I rode it for probly 3-4hours I had it for 2 days and The crank broke right where it connects to the spindle, and i had to walk a couple miles with a crank arm in my hand! Well I have a good LBS that I bought the bike from and they told me that I could not ride this bike like I was. I was disapointed a hole sh!tload! But they took it back and I ordered a Kona Shred that will be here on Monday or Tuesday.

SO

My question is was this a normallity for this model, or did I get a wack crank set? Has anyone else had this problem?

Either way I will like the shred better, since I demoed the Kona Scrap they had there and liked it.

If this is normal for this Model Buyer beware!!!!

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Tang
    Hello Everyone! I love this board and this is my first post. SO MUCH INFO! its great.

So, I bought a 2006 Kona Fire Mountain. I am an Ex-street BMXer. I am 220lbs and 6'1". And i was bunny hopping my new bike, I didn't do any drops or anything like that, and my bunny hop is 5-6 inches if that. I rode it for probly 3-4hours I had it for 2 days and The crank broke right where it connects to the spindle, and i had to walk a couple miles with a crank arm in my hand! Well I have a good LBS that I bought the bike from and they told me that I could not ride this bike like I was. I was disapointed a hole sh!tload! But they took it back and I ordered a Kona Shred that will be here on Monday or Tuesday.

SO

My question is was this a normallity for this model, or did I get a wack crank set? Has anyone else had this problem?

Either way I will like the shred better, since I demoed the Kona Scrap they had there and liked it.

If this is normal for this Model Buyer beware!!!!

no it is not normal for a crank to break like that...that said a 200 pound guy hopping 5-6inches in the air on a cross country bike is likely to cause some troubles...the shred will hold up much better

Next time you are looking for a bike head over to the cyldes forum...and see what they have to say about a bike

DMR