1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Knowledgeable Advice Needed

Hey guys! This is my first real post here on MTBR, I've been lurking for quite some time now and finally decided it was time to post as I need a little help. I used to race A class and ProAm atv's but couldn't afford it anymore so for a new hobby I picked up a Giant Revel 1 about two months ago and love it! I picked up some MG-1's as recommended by many and they are awesome. The bike is great except the fork is trash. It beats the heck out of me.

I've searched around a little about forks, my price range would be 300 but not more than that. I've checked out Rock shox like the Reba and Recon, also the Epicon from Suntour, and some stuff from marzocchi. The thing is I dont really know what compares to what and what I'm truly looking for. I ride XC and single track. I would maybe like to race in the future. So thats where I'm at there.

Anyone willing to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated, I know this topic has been brought up a lot, I just couldnt really find the answers I was needing.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    What fork do you currently have (is your bike stock or not)? Do you want new or is used fine?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Okay, assuming you're on a fully stock bike, SR Suntour is a low end fork as you probably know by now. If you want a new fork, I have heard good about the Manitou R7 and they can be had for around $250. Rock Shox makes a good product but the Reba is out of your range if you want new. I don't know anything about the Recon. Marzocchi has had serious quality issues over the past few years. People say that the issues are behind them but I am still leery and won't touch anything they make (I used to ride earlier models and loved them though). Fox is probably too expensive if you want new and maybe even too much for used.

I don't have any time on the Manitou R7 but the pro version is $246 online and the reviews are great. I have heard people like them, they are light, and look pretty good too. For a new XC fork within your budget, that would be my suggestion.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-Manitou-R7-...item4aace7f306 (my pricing was a little bit off)
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

T.W.O.
    A Reba would be a good choice. If you get a used one the older Reba can extend travel to 115mm the next time you have the fork service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yes, my bike is stock. the Suntour fork is absolute garbage. New or used it doesn't matter to me as long as it's in good condition. I've read about the Manitou, I missed out when it was on sale a few months ago for right around $200 but i hadn't actually got my bike from the shop yet. My loss there. What is a good RockShox fork in my 300 dollar price range? or should I just wait for a sale and pick one up in say a month or two in or around september?

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by dworley505 View Post
    yes, my bike is stock. the Suntour fork is absolute garbage. New or used it doesn't matter to me as long as it's in good condition. I've read about the Manitou, I missed out when it was on sale a few months ago for right around $200 but i hadn't actually got my bike from the shop yet. My loss there. What is a good RockShox fork in my 300 dollar price range? or should I just wait for a sale and pick one up in say a month or two in or around september?
    rock shox has changed their line up this year, so a 2011 recon silver would be a 2010 tora air, a recon gold would be any 10 recon. i would recomend trying to find a deal on a 2010 recon race great fork. a recon silver is right around that price range.

the diff between a silver and gold is weight due to the uppers being alloy/gold and chome/silver

mtbr member
    Welcome to the site. Think these guys got you on the right path. I will say that I agree that your curent fork isn't the best, but if it's broken or worn out then a rebuild will make it lots better.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    rock shox has changed their line up this year, so a 2011 recon silver would be a 2010 tora air, a recon gold would be any 10 recon. i would recomend trying to find a deal on a 2010 recon race great fork. a recon silver is right around that price range.

the diff between a silver and gold is weight due to the uppers being alloy/gold and chome/silver
    I've looked around at the pricing on these and it seems that they are around 250 bucks, that being said should I just drop the cash on the manitou r7? Is that a much better fork than the recon?

theMeat, thanks for the welcome. My fork is brand new basically, I came from a pro caliber quad having very plush suspension so getting beat around by roots and rocks isn't exactly my thing lol. Thats why I'm looking for the new fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Doesn't the 2010 Silver Recon still have the TurnKey damper? I think the damper in the ABS+ damper in the R7 or the new minute expert/pro is a better choice. I have a minute expert myself ( had a similar situation, my stock sr suntour had so much brake dive I couldn't ride it, as I was too fat haha).

The minute has been great so far. The main difference between the minute and the R7 is 32mm vs 30mm stancions. Both use the ABS+ damper, but the minute will be stiffer/heavier. Just my .02 . My buddy has a recon gold and loves it, I love my minute. I don't think either would be bad choices. I've just been told by several more knowlegable people the ABS+ damper is bette than the TurnKey.

EDIT: my bad, you suggested the Recon Race, not silver. I need to learn to read sometimes. The Recon Race has the MotionControl damper, not TK.

Professional Speed Bump
    There are some good deals on used forks out there.

RS SID
    RS SID
    RS REBA
    RS REBA

...make sure the steer tube length is long enough to fit your bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm definitely considering the r7. Thanks for the links captainjoon.

Are there any good things to be said about x-fusion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dworley505 View Post
    I'm definitely considering the r7. Are there any good things to be said about x-fusion?
    I've heard good things about the X-Fusion but have never ridden one myself. The thing with the R7 is that it is in the top echelon of Manitou's cross country forks and fits your budget. I used to ride Rock Shox and they make a great product but it's going to be a lower to mid end fork for what you're looking at paying.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    With that said, i may just go with the x-fusion enix RL. Seems to be a pretty good product. Would some of you more experienced guys take a look and see what you think about it?

http://www.xfusionshox.com/product.p...c41c9f5e63c0e6

To me it looks pretty good. It's an air for with rebound adjust and remote lockout. I think for 250 it might be worth picking up and it comes with a two year warranty!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check the closed listings on Fox forks on EBay. Used, you can sometimes get 'em for $300.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx