1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

A knock from inside my rear wheel hub

Hello everyone. As mentioned in the title, I've got a knock coming from my inside the hub of my rear wheel. I noticed it while out of seat. After isolating it to my rear wheel, I removed it and jerked it side to side to confirm my suspision.

It sounds like something is loose and sliding along my axle. Has anyone had this happen to them before? If so, how did you remedy? I'm praying it won't be expensive.

Thanks.

Just Ride
    possibly a broken pawl? Or something similar. I've not had the issue. Are your hubs serviceable? If so open them up and take a look. If not, or you don't know what I'm talking about then safe to say you have entry level hubs and now would be a great time to look into getting something better! That route however is not cheap...
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Fat-tired Roadie
    All hubs are serviceable. The questions tend to work their way toward availability of parts. I think whether or not the seals are any good is also important.

How old is the bike?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

local trails rider
    What hub is it? Can you find any brand names, logos, etc?

or, what bike and how old is it?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Mine started "knocking" intermittently during riding a month and a half ago. It progressively got worse and a few weeks ago the hub started slipping. The LBS replaced the free hub.
    It was ok for a week or 2 then started again worse than before. Sometimes I could run the pedals around twice before the freehub would engage the hub body. It's in the shop getting a new wheel under warranty right now.
    GTA
    Ontario

Endo Pro
    Jun 2013
    I just picked my bike up from being repaired. I had noise like knocking and there was a lot of play in the rear hub. Turns out the service guy at the local bike shop just had to repack the bearings. The wheel is quiet as can be now and the play is gone. Cost of repair was $25.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sorry for such a late reply. I have Alex rims DP17. As mentioned above, they are entry level. I went to the lbs and picked up the necesary tools to take it apart. There was a bolt(?) inside the hub which the free hub screws onto which came loose and was slidding along my axle.

I just pushed the free hub down on to the hub as far as it would go and then used a 12mm allen wrench to screw the bolt thingy into the free hub. Problem solved.

What I can figure out is, how the heck did those pieces become unscrewed.

Fat-tired Roadie
    What hub do you have?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My hubs are fuji sealed bearing disc.