1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Is this Klein Attitude worth while?

Hey guys,

I am trying to find a bike for commuting to work and occasional weekend mountain climbing with wife & dogs, I came across this bike and thought its a really cool bike, upon research, people say the frame is fragile to some degree before certain year? Not sure how true that is, but does anyone has experience with Klein bikes? And if anyone have any info towards this bike (year/model/review) will be greatly appreciated

Klein Attitude ? MINT condition | Trade Me
    Last edited by blkicy; 08-25-2013 at 05:08 PM.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Between 2002-2005 according to the fact it has a RockShox Duke fork. The bike is overpriced and you should try to negotiate a better price. Nothing special about the component group at all. Looks like Deore at best. Bontrager mid-tier hubs, cranks, bars etc.

Bikepedia has msrp at ~$1300.

I do think some of the old Kleins are really collectable, but maybe not this one.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the info, the $600 no reserve is in NZD if that makes any difference, I thought it was priced fair comparing to what i seem on Ebay.

Anyone else think Klein bike is worth while?

What about this one here? Current bid is $295 (NZD) but the auction doesn't end till Thursday, any prediction on how much it should go for?

Merida Comp Level Matts TFS 900 | Trade Me

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would buy that in a heartbeat. I am biased though. I've owned a couple Klein's, one was a 2002 Attitude comp. I was 210 lbs and never had a problem with the frame.

It has disc brakes which is not US spec for a 2003. A definite upgrade. In fact, the only thing I didn't like about the Attitude were the V-brakes, so in my mind this is a perfect bike.

mtbr member
    $600 starting bid for that? I'd be tempted for sure, as it looks to be very well cared for, almost no visible cable rub etc.
    Dru, you have to be aware that our New Zealand dollars are a bit cheaper than your US dollars. Currency conversion has NZ$600 as about US$468.
    Also, when that thing was new in NZ, it would have retailed for well over NZ$2500/$3000, due to the fact that back then our dollar was worth less than .50cents US, and Kleins were always pricey over here.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds like its a sweet bike from everyone's input, I will have a go on that bike although I don't have much more to spare so hopefully its my lucky day.

I don't know too much about bike parts, but would the Klein frame be a keeper to depend on for my future upgrades?

mtbr member
    Well they are very nice made frames, but stiff/harsh riding as all hell. Vintage aluminum? Who knows how it will hold up. I'd rather trust vintage steel, if it breaks you can fix it. The klein you'll have to throw out. I'd rather have a pre Trek Klein too. Although that one does look pretty sweet. I like the Adroit model myself.

MTB B'dos
    Would personally stay away from that unless you plan on more commuting than trail riding. I found them damn harsh, handling was way twitchy, but did love the paint. T o me this would be good for a collector, an enthusiast who appreciated those bikes. Note that the tyres, grips and pretty much anything else that can be affected by age and dry rot will be, so you'll need to replace all of that stuff right off the bat - this will also most likely include the Hayes brakes unless the bike has been constantly riden and them maintained.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think this would be a great frame to build on. Replace the tires and grips like LyNx said as soon as you can. You can do that for $40-50.

Then I would replace the brakes with some SLX's. Get the fork serviced if it hasn't been. Those two could wait, but not too long.

You're going to have to drop some more money in to it. Some of it can wait, though. If you want a bike that you just buy and ride, and maybe upgrade way down the line, I would look elsewhere. However, if you want a unique ride and don't mind dropping some money on upgrades soon after your purchase. Do it.

Quite frankly, I haven't seen a Klein on the trails since I was riding one. It's sad that Trek killed them off like Gary Fisher, Lemond and Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burzum View Post
    Well they are very nice made frames, but stiff/harsh riding as all hell. Vintage aluminum? Who knows how it will hold up. I'd rather trust vintage steel, if it breaks you can fix it. The klein you'll have to throw out. I'd rather have a pre Trek Klein too. Although that one does look pretty sweet. I like the Adroit model myself.
    Old aluminum just needs to be cleaned well, and is repairable. "welding family"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the frame info, that particular Klein is starting to grow on me, the buyer did say its in mint condition.

Lynx, when you said the Hayes brake need to be replaced, what part of the brake are you talking about? I might reconsider if you're talking about the whole brake system as it doesn't sound like a cheap job.

Does the frame comment of stiff/harsh mean that its also durable? I am not experienced enough to know what those means, but being durable is probably enough for me to hold on for many years.

T.W.O.
    I stopped at commuting, you don't want to use that Klein to commute back and forth and locking it up in front of some work and school. Even if the thieves don't know about Klein's heritage, it's a "Mint" condition bike. Use it for offroad or paved road riding is ok. Buy cheapo for commuting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I stopped at commuting, you don't want to use that Klein to commute back and forth and locking it up in front of some work and school. Even if the thieves don't know about Klein's heritage, it's a "Mint" condition bike. Use it for offroad or paved road riding is ok. Buy cheapo for commuting.
    Good point. Unless you have a good way to lock this up, I wouldn't commute with it.

MTB B'dos
    What I mean is if the bike has been left to sit it is very possible if in a hot storage location for the DOT fluid to have dried and crystallized and pretty much if that happens you need new brakes, not worth it to spend the time or money on parts to fix. That being said, you can pick up a set of Deore hydros for about $120 for the pair, so not really that expensive.

As to the frame being harsh/stiff, it means exactly what it says, the frames IMHO were WAY to stiff/harsh, felt like you were riding a piece of concrete, really jarred the crap out of you. As to if this means it'll last better, to me, prob not any more than another alu frame from that time.

Also as Mimi said, would be a bit hard to lock that beautiful bike up outside for thieves to see - Absolutely love the paint on those, would buy one just for that reason
    Quote Originally Posted by blkicy View Post
    ........Lynx, when you said the Hayes brake need to be replaced, what part of the brake are you talking about? I might reconsider if you're talking about the whole brake system as it doesn't sound like a cheap job.

Does the frame comment of stiff/harsh mean that its also durable? I am not experienced enough to know what those means, but being durable is probably enough for me to hold on for many years.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for all the comments, I didnt end up getting the Klein with some of your comments in mind, but I did end up getting this, which I think spec wise is better than Klein.

Merida Comp Level Matts TFS 900 | Trade Me

Can't wait to put my hands on it!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's a nice bike!

XT, Manitou fork, somewhere around 2007 vintage, or a bit newer.

I noticed a couple of things: the bar ends are in a really weird position; the headset has an o-ring out of place which needs your attention asap.

Get it sorted and go for a rip and a tear!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah I noticed the o-right is out of place, I guess I just need to unscrew it and put the ring back into place and it will be all good?

This forum is awesome!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I don't know your level of mechanical skill but here goes. Pull the top cap, then the stem and spacer. The upper bearing race sits just under the spacer. Take that off (it slides upward) and have a look to see where that o ring goes. Reinstall, and reassemble everything but leave the stem bolts loose. Preload the bearings using the top cap allen bolt. Retighten stem bolts. Ride!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Mechanical skill pretty limited with the bikes, but I learn pretty quick. Will give that a try, thanks for the advise dru!

MTB B'dos
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog for all your bike mech needs
    Mechanical skill pretty limited with the bikes, but I learn pretty quick. Will give that a try, thanks for the advise dru!
    Nice find, great parts
    Thanks for all the comments, I didnt end up getting the Klein with some of your comments in mind, but I did end up getting this, which I think spec wise is better than Klein.Merida Comp Level Matts TFS 900 | Trade Me
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I found them damn harsh, handling was way twitchy, but did love the paint.
    I found this to be 100% spot on. I have quite a few Kleins it's a love/hate traits and Klein's paint job is legendary, some in house premium paint job cost more than the frame itself

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Right, I am kind of glad I missed the Klein though I liked the paint job and the minimalist design, I'd rather spending the money on quality parts.

I got the Merida for $725 (NZD), does that sound like a fair price or did I pay too much?

T.W.O.
    Right, I am kind of glad I missed the Klein though I liked the paint job and the minimalist design, I'd rather spending the money on quality parts.

I got the Merida for $725 (NZD), does that sound like a fair price or did I pay too much?
    If you ever had to put the internal cable routing tube in the Klein you'd be really glad you missed that Klein PETA is a kind word for that.

I don't know, we don't have Merida here in the US. I think they kind of have some kind of joint thing with Specialized. Shame Merida is one of the biggest bicycle company in the world, if not the biggest. I grew up knowing the brand when I was in Asia, but at the time nothing beat PK Ripper

MTB B'dos
    Not 100% on your dollar, but AFAIK not much below the US, so I'd say a pretty good deal. You got what looks to be all pretty new (guessing 9spd) XT parts and last HT I knew that came with those specs went for about $2k US back then (when 9spd was the top group).

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics