1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Kickstand for touring

Any suggestions? I would prefer center mounted since the rear mounted doesn't feel as sturdy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    Any suggestions? I would prefer center mounted since the rear mounted doesn't feel as sturdy.
    What you'll likely want is a double or two legged stand, something similar to this, Bicycle Kickstand Double Twin Leg Heavy Duty Bike Stand on eBay! . There are several different designs out there. The dualie is ideal for loaded touring, i.e. panniers or a trailer, etc., as it balances and supports the load and/or bike upright. With a single leg stand the bike must lean in order to be stable. Which is fine for just the bike itself. Put an extra 50lbs of gear in panniers on the bike and a single leg stand becomes just shy of useless.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Any idea how much those weight?

mtbr member
    Any idea how much those weight?
    Your planning on Touring (which I assume includes loaded gear) and the weight of a kickstand is your concern?

Seriously, stability and durability should be the concern here. These are the best
    Universal Cycles -- Pletscher Two-leg double Kickstand

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Your planning on Touring (which I assume includes loaded gear) and the weight of a kickstand is your concern?

Seriously, stability and durability should be the concern here. These are the best
    Universal Cycles -- Pletscher Two-leg double Kickstand
    I don't buy anything for my bike if I don't know how much it weights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It weights a lot. . . . . Which is to say, probably more than you want if you're the type to be concerned with the mass of every thing that goes on the bike. I have one and it's great especially for a loaded bike.

Quick google search says that it's 22oz = 625 grams.
    Last edited by AuntieAPE; 09-23-2012 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I don't buy anything for my bike if I don't know how much it weights.

I have no idea what the double weighs. A standard Greenfield single weighs a tad more than a pound or so. So probably about 2 pounds maybe more would be a good guess. I've never really weighed a kickstand. Most people that want one aren't concerned about the weight, they're looking for the utility and convenience. So weights, published or otherwise, for the various kickstands will be tough to come by.

Your best bet is either going to be someone on the boards that has one and has weighed it, or finding a local shop that has one, and have them weigh it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"