1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Khs sj200

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Khs sj200

My buddy bought one of these and he wants to put gears on it. He knows nothing about bikes and I work on roadies and mnt bikes. Bringing his bike over later so I can check it out and see what he needs.

I guess my question is, is it as simple as just buying the components and bolting them on as any other bike? I see it has a RD hangar on it, but no cable stops. Is it common to put gears on these bikes, and if so then I assume there are clamp on type cable stops readily available?

He wants to put an 8 speed cassette and mnt bike shifter on it, leaving the front alone, providing you can get a bigger chaingear for the stock crankset. So I guess that is another question, do they make different chaingears for those cranksets? Suppose I should wait to see the bike and then do some research before asking here, but I figure someone has done this before and can give me some tips.

mtbr member
    It's an SS bike. I don't think it's designed for what you're trying to do...but here's a post of some guy modifying it. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I see, so that RD hangar may just be part of the chain tensioner assembly then, which would make sense why there are no cable stops. Have to do some looking for clamp on type stops that will fit his bike, I don't think he'll want zip ties on a brand new $$ bike. Personally I'm thinking he bought the wrong bike for his intended purposes, but that time has passed now and will have to work with what he has.

mtbr member
    I would just tell him to keep that bike as is. Looks like it could be a fun lil' pump track or dirt jump bike....just don't try to tackle a lot of hills

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For now he bought a 30T chaingear to throw on it, and I must say I didn't think it would change the feel to much, but it is stout! Told him now he should get a couple different cogs to fine tune with and he'll probably like it just fine as a SS. And after working on the bike and getting to check it out in person I see there are spots to just zip tie a fully housed cable to if still wants to put gears on. And the rear derailleur hangar is actually part of the dropout rather than the adjuster mechanism. Told him not to leave it outside b/c I'll come over in stealth mode and steal his fork and brakes! lol They would be great on my mountain bike!