1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Kershaw Skyline the best Knife for a bike trip .

Hey guys I am a self titled Knife Nut I own many knifes from a 10-1/4" Ontario RTAKII down to a 1.313" Spyderco Bug, And by far the best knife I have found for trail riding is the Kershaw Skyline. And this is why

1) Very light. At 2.3 Oz this is probably the lightest folder with 3 1/8" blade. It's the single most important feature for me. I remove the pocket clip and attach it to my seat post by stretching a length of inner tube cut from a kids bike over my seat post.
    2) Slim profile. Without the clip it's only 3/8", and with clip it's a little over 1/2". It doesn't create a visible bulge.
    3) G10 scales. G10 is a modern fiberglass that's both very light and tough it's practically indestructible. The scales here have non-slip surface that feels like coarse fabric, good to keep the knife in your hand when wet.
    4) Flipper. With little practice you can very quickly deploy the blade with just your index finger. The flipper also serves as finger guard preventing the blade from accidentally closing on you.
    5) Liner lock. It obviously keeps the blade in open position (very solid), but a bump on the lock also mates with a hole on the blade to keep it closed. You have to apply a little extra pressure to open the blade, but it's good because it prevents accidental opening.
    6) Finger groove. Deep index finger groove gives positive grip that prevents slippage. It makes the knife safer to handle.
    7) Reversible & removable pocket clip. You can position the clip so the tip points up or down in your pocket, although it's on the right-hand side only. I removed mine because I don't need it.
    8) Conventional drop-point blade. This is a versatile design that gives a good balance for many purposes. It's good for cutting and slicing without having too weak of a tip.
    9) Decent steel. In the past Kershaw used 13C26 stainless steel by Sandvik (sweden), which has a reputation to rust but otherwise has good edge retention properties. The newest editions use 14C28N Sandvik steel that's supposed to be more resistant to rust.
    10) Very reasonable price. With all its design features and modern materials, the knife is a steal at under $40.

Specifications

• Steel: Sandvik 14C28N bead-blasted finish
    • Handle: Textured black G-10
    • Blade length: 3-1/8 inches
    • Closed length: 4-1/4 inches
    • Overall length: 7-3/8 inches
    • Weight: 2.3 ounce

Cheers And happy trails,
    Wyrd

mtbr member
    I have a Kershaw PJMartin in my pocket right now LOL I too have a litle pile of knives. Kershaw Made in the USA is a great knife for sure! Spring assist is a nice feature too for one hand operation.
    I had a SWEET auto Benchmade but lost it offroading one year...too much beer at the campfire I guess...sad day that was an expensive knife too loose..
    I allways have at least on knife in my pocket...my wife yelled at me one year for cliping my knife to a pair of boarshorts going to the lake LOL "Hey you never know, you might need it" LOL
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Fat-tired Roadie
    I gotta say, one of the things I like about not working as a stagehand anymore is that I don't have to have a knife and tools on me. Granted, neither of mine was exactly light...

What do you guys find you need them for while you're mountain biking? I mean, I know that some people like to take a little folding saw to take care of invasive species and cut back brush when they hit bad spots, but I looked at a pic and this thing's not even serrated.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like to have a Knife on me because it was one of mans first tools. and if I end up stranded some place Its the only tool I need. I can cut rope,wood,skin. Build a debris shelter, start a fire, build a trap, Not that I want to but it can be used in defense. Have you seen 127 Hours? It is not a required item But I was a scout, And for as long as i can remember have had one in my pocket. I can not count the number of times I have had to offer my knife because some one else needed some thing cut. But I like that knife because you can open it with one had, You never know when you can fall and break an arm hand or thumb. Or when you need to create a break lever. or trim a green branch and slip it in or tie it to a broken frame to hobble home. There are many uses you will know them as they appear. at 2.3 oz you can pocket it and forget it. As far as Serrated knifes go they are hard to sharpen and require advanced skills to maintain. Some people like cars, sports cards, or spoons, I like to collect knives they are all different, some go way up in value some do not. But us knife guys and girls will get it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Lol Burt I keep my 200 plus dollar knifes at home... most of the time. I lost a Chris Reeve Sebenza cutting a snagged line on a boat.... Ha ha lesson learned... for a little bit... OH and right not I have a Case Sodbuster in my pocket

mtbr member
    Yah buddy, like you said lesson learned....but I still need to replace that Benchmade I lost. In Oregon you can get the auto at the mall lol. Here in Cali you gotta be a cop or coastguard/EMT type to "need one hand full auto knife". Spring assit is avail all day long but a true push button auto...Cali law makers no like :-P I'm sure the crime element runined it for us knife lovers...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

I find that knife people try to justify their gear whore-ness in some way or another. Just admit that you're a knife whore and move on.

I have never needed much knife when I'm out. I have a few and for biking, they're entirely unnecessary. Even for backpacking, mostly unnecessary. I have a tiny Swiss Army knife that resides in my first aid kit and it's the most I've ever needed...for things like splinters, cutting moleskin, that sort of thing.

I honestly use my knives FAR more when I'm working around the house.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yup Im a Dirty filthy Knife nut. on the other hand 26 vs 29 clip-less or flats Every hobby has it nuts. most people wont care to / want listen to the finer points involved in another activity.

'Tis but a scratch
    I carry a knife in my pack. But, I agree, it barely ever gets any use. It gives me comfort though. I do think in a survival situation it is a tool that would get used. I'm typically not riding so remotely that it will turn into a survival situation. I joke and call it my "bear killing knife". I also have a compass and waterproof matches that never get used either. I use this pack for hiking, too. So, these are a few items that just stay in there for both purposes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I normally only carry a Swiss army knife. I have nicer knives, and I love my Kershaw by the way. I like the swiss army knife with me due to it being a multi tool which does come in handy when you least expect it.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit of a knife nut - got a drawer full of good folders, and I usually have one in my pocket for general use. But I've rarely if ever needed one on the trail. Still, I bought a really small $12 Buck just to have a blade in my fix-it pouch.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ha ha Probably the Buck Bantam... I think every one has had a Swiss army knife or should have. Yup a knife may not be used a lot. but i have never regretted having one, or two..

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    I always have my Spyderco Delica with me. I love that knife

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ohh I Just about ordered a Deilca last month but went with the para military band wagon
    Golden Colorado Earth

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I perfer knives that are budget friendly, yet really good, and I agree with Kershaws, I have a Kershaw Chill, and a Volt II, and am looking at getting a Tremor soon. I love Kershaw's knives and they are definitely some of the best quality but lower cost knives out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    if you look around the tremor runs around 20$

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    if you look around the tremor runs around 20$
    Yeah, I know, I've found it for $18-20, gonna order one soon, just waiting till I get my next paycheck before I buy something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The only drawback to the tremor is the blade shape can be harder to sharpen.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I feel like if difficulty sharpening a blade pushes you away from a knife... Thought the same thing about the serrated blade. Not so hard to take care of, IMO.

Incidentally, that's the second-best shape to use for cutting color media for theatrical lighting, after a purpose-built tool that has a rotating circular blade, like a pizza cutter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx