1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Are kenda Kwest tires ok for trainer?

I bought a hutchinson 26x1.25 for my 06 nashbar mag trainer. the tire is so small a i cant get the trainer to make firm contact with the tire. the adjutment bolt only pushes the roller up so far. i was wondering if i got a larger tire like the kwest 26x1.95 would it work ok. thats about the only slick tire my lbs carries. or do i need to send the trainer back

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just about any totally slick tire will work fine with a trainer. You can return the trainer if you want but just check what tire size the new trainer you get can take before buying it.

I run a 26 X 1.95 tire on my trainer and it works fine. It will have a little more resistance and make a little bit more noise than a skinnier tire but it's not really a big deal. Just make sure you inflate it to it's max pressure and you should be fine.

Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary76
    I bought a hutchinson 26x1.25 for my 06 nashbar mag trainer. the tire is so small a i cant get the trainer to make firm contact with the tire. the adjutment bolt only pushes the roller up so far. i was wondering if i got a larger tire like the kwest 26x1.95 would it work ok. thats about the only slick tire my lbs carries. or do i need to send the trainer back
    Personaly i run a set of Specialized FATBOY tires on my trainer and when i'm on the road. I think that would be a good choice for you if you can get them.Plus their fairly inexpensive at 20.00 a piece