1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Kellys Madman is all equipment good balanced?

Hello all!

In December I have bought Kellys Madman 2009. Here it is

Spec can be found here http://www.kellys.com.ua/bike.php?b=...=MTB&n2=MADMAN

I really like it. But I used it only few rides and then cold winter came. Now I preparing it for season and want to know is all components on my bike good balanced to each other? I mean if all of them much each other with quality and with level?

If I will think about an upgrade what components I must change first? What second, etc?

I ride it 70% forest 30% roads.

Thanks for Your answer.

PS: sorry for my poor English

mtbr member
    dont worry about it. just ride, if something breaks, you've found your limitation!

nothing on my bike is balanced. i have some high end parts, some low end parts. all the high end parts are things i know i break, like chainrings, strong rims and suspension. my shifters are low end because ive had zero problems with them.

its not a good idea to blindly upgrade. if somethings really not working for you, replace it. same with broken stuff. no sense replacing perfectly good parts though.

all in all, your bike has some good parts.. except that isoflow crank. the rings on those things are just terrible. i wouldnt expect much reliable service out of it.

pants on head retarded
    "Balance" in terms of component spec doesn't matter too much. If you don't know what you want to upgrade, keep riding until you figure it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for Your answers!
    Yes I know that I must ride much and time will show who is the the weak link (i think not me :-) ) But I read a lot of threads at this forum and I saw a lot of guys that has really perfect bikes and what I like much is that this guys have made their bikes with their own hands!

So I want to spend some free money now to upgrade. Just for fun and just to work with my bike by my hands. So thanks, One Pivot, I will pay my attention to crank and maybe to tires. I want to try some road tires to see if they will be really best on roads.

What about second step? What can You say about fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gieros
    What can You say about fork?
    You mean the вилка?
    Most of us don't have much experience with Suntour вилкаs, since they primarily come stock on entry-level Велосипедs.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.