1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Master Shredder

Keep Trek 4300 or sell and buy a $500-600 new bike?

I recently got a used '05 Trek 4300 off CL for $300 after the necessary tuneups. It's in excellent condition except that it's only 21 spd instead of 24, the back tire has been replaced with something cheaper, and seat keeps coming loose.

I feel like it's adequate, but I put it back on CL for $350 firm and I'm getting hits. So I could get $50 profit and then get a new bike with disc brakes, crisper parts, etc.

What would you do? I think I can swing the extra $150 or $250 for something else, because I now feel like I should've gone new in the first place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.utlra View Post
    I recently got a used '05 Trek 4300 off CL for $300 after the necessary tuneups. It's in excellent condition except that it's only 21 spd instead of 24, the back tire has been replaced with something cheaper, and seat keeps coming loose.

I feel like it's adequate, but I put it back on CL for $350 firm and I'm getting hits. So I could get $50 profit and then get a new bike with disc brakes, crisper parts, etc.

What would you do? I think I can swing the extra $150 or $250 for something else, because I now feel like I should've gone new in the first place.
    Yeah I would sell it and add some, I picked up a Rocky Mountain ETSX for 400

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As a former trek 4500 owner...... If you can sell it easily and have the extra money to swing a new(er) ride go for it. My 4500 wasn't a "bad" bike, but the Giant Trance 4 I replaced it with is a way better bike. I personally would recommend buying another good condition used bike. For $600 you could get an even nicer level bike if you buy used. Your component level won't be much (if any) better on a new $600 bike and though you may have disk brakes they will likely not be very high quality. If you can get your budget into the $500-$700 range you can buy a pretty nice used bike w/ good components. I was able to get my trance for $700.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trance 4

Quote Originally Posted by flynbryan19 View Post
    As a former trek 4500 owner...... If you can sell it easily and have the extra money to swing a new(er) ride go for it. My 4500 wasn't a "bad" bike, but the Giant Trance 4 I replaced it with is a way better bike. I personally would recommend buying another good condition used bike. For $600 you could get an even nicer level bike if you buy used. Your component level won't be much (if any) better on a new $600 bike and though you may have disk brakes they will likely not be very high quality. If you can get your budget into the $500-$700 range you can buy a pretty nice used bike w/ good components. I was able to get my trance for $700.
    Can I ask what year Trance 4 you ended up with? I've been looking at one on craigslist. Just wondering what the value is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mines an 05'. There are alot of full susp bikes for sale in this area that are 05-09' for $700-$900. Just have to keep an eye on Craigslist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This is the one I've been looking at: Mountain bike Giant trance 4 full suspension

I haven't checked in the last couple of days, but he hadn't sold it last time I did. I believe it's a 2004 or 2005. I looked it up but can't remember. Does this seem like a good deal?
    Last edited by Cowboysfan1254; 07-21-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Link posted strangely from my phone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysfan1254 View Post
    This is the one I've been looking at: Mountain bike Giant trance 4 full suspension

I haven't checked in the last couple of days, but he hadn't sold it last time I did. I believe it's a 2004 or 2005. I looked it up but can't remember. Does this seem like a good deal?

That fork is going to need rebuilt in a major way, notice that the dust cap. If that is an indication of how well the bike was taken care I would tend to shy away. I got this guy for $400.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Keep Trek 4300 or sell and buy a 0-600 new bike?-imag0738.jpg  

Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by flynbryan19 View Post
    Mines an 05'. There are alot of full susp bikes for sale in this area that are 05-09' for $700-$900. Just have to keep an eye on Craigslist.
    My Craigslist selection is terrible in Milwaukee, WI. I ended up just getting a new 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 (Pics in entry level bikes thread)
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For what its worth, that was an 05'. The Trance 4 came w/ rim brakes and the fork shown. But judging the pics that the fella pointed out the bike is in sad shape. I would keep looking.