1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Keep or look for something else

I picked up a diamondback response xe 18" frame bike about 2 years ago. I think it's a 09 model. Has disc brakes low end forks shifters derailuers etc. I have put on a lizard skin chain stay protector and some ergo grips. My buddy recently got a old Raleigh fs bike and now I have someone to start riding with. I aired up the tires and got the bike out for the first time in over a year or so and we have ride the local trails two times now. I am about 5'11 and 250. I wanna lose some of this and enjoy riding just off road on the local trails. That consist of rocks and roots and mud etc. I am 29 and will be 30 in feb.

I picked up a Giro helmet yesterday to start getting more into riding the trails now my question is I know my bike is an entry level bike with crap stuff on it. At my new skill level and weight and focus on type of riding should I just keep the db response xe and upgrade it over time or look for something better? Not sure getting a new one is really an option right now as I found out that I will also become a father in Feb. thoughts??

mtbr member

Re: Keep or look for something else

I started riding last year with a Walmart Mongoose and just upgraded the rims, tires, shock and pedals. Some riders told me to ride it till it breaks and get some experience. Im now riding a Kona Coiler (Because I love this bombproof frame) and transferred everything I upgraded on the Mongoose top the Kona.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride and continue to have fun. The upgrade for you is an air fork. Look on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congrats on the dad thing. Way more fun than I thought it would be.

If you're thinking that you're gonna try and keep the DB for a couple years and ride it regularly, a few upgrades wouldn't be a bad idea. Your best deal is always going to be on a used complete bike, but you can definitely hook yours up a little at a time and up it's performance and comfort level. To a certain point of course.

For the moment, I'd run it pretty much the way it is and just go put some miles under your belt. It's definitely fine to start out on, then see what schedule and finances allow as far as riding goes. You've got a busy couple years in front of you. Pro tip - you can always get a hall pass for a ride if you get comfortable pulling a trailer and changing diapers trailside.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    thanks,

I know it seems that alot of people tend to like the DB response frame from this model style because of how strong the frame supposedly is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just picked up a DB Overdrive Expert from Nashbar with the plan to ride the tar out of it and fix it along the way... Will save my $'s in the mean time and get what I want in a year or two...

Only thing I'm thinking of upgrading now is the fork... I'm 5'10" and right at 200# and the fork on it (Suntour XCT) just isn't going to cut it... May go the upgrade route, but also keeping my eyes open for used...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ive read conflicting things on the whole suntour upgrade thing. See i bought mine used, so I dont think I have that option anyway since no reciept etc.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    ive read conflicting things on the whole suntour upgrade thing. See i bought mine used, so I dont think I have that option anyway since no reciept etc.
    Correct. You need to be original owner with proof of purchase to qualify for the upgrade program.

local trails rider
    You rode that bike a couple of times. How was it?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"