1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

K2 bikes... junk?

I saw the k2 shadow 9 is on sale for like 400 and I have a 20% off coupon for sports authority. Are these bikes the same junk as other dept store bikes? Only reason I ask is because I recognize the k2 name. I realize the components are crap but I was wondering if the frames have any redeeming qualities. Can't find any reviews online which can't be a good sign.

mtbr member
    When I worked at the Sports authority in the outdoor dept, I saw those and te columbia bikes come back ALL the time. Usually within a week or so with problems. Usually it was with how they were assembled... By the guy from the shoe dept. They are also heavy as hell.

And by the way I don't think that coupon will work on bikes. That have a lot of fine print.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There is a sub forum here dedicated to that brand but the moderators have had it hidden since the end of May.

http://forums.mtbr.com/k2/

Go there and set the page to show threads from the beginning to get some idea what actual owners of the K2 bikes have to say about them.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I looked at them last month at SA. They caught my eye because I have an older K2 (07 apache). K2 went out of business, and I think the new merged company is totally different. Anyway, I wasn't impressed. Then again, you may not find anything much better for that price. Have you checked your local craigslist?

The old forum saw very little activity because they were out of business, and there is not really anything in common with the SA bikes. Check out noble-bikes.com to see current bikes from an old K2 designer.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    I looked at them last month at SA. They caught my eye because I have an older K2 (07 apache). K2 went out of business, and I think the new merged company is totally different. Anyway, I wasn't impressed. Then again, you may not find anything much better for that price.

The old forum saw very little activity because they were out of business, and there is not really anything in common with the SA bikes. Check out noble-bikes.com to see current bikes from an old K2 designer.
    Here's the thing:
    1) K2 was purchased by a global manufacturing management company...Jarden (Jarden Corporation - Home).

2) K2 had, in the past, attempted to lead the way with technology...they had a fork system that used piezoelectric sensors to regulate shock dampening, but no one thought it helped, so the idea got tossed.

3) As a result...yes, they lost quality and turned into "department store" bikes. Looking at K2's corporate website, I don't see a bike division...might be a "fake" with K2 painted on it...happens with those bikes. Do you really think Columbia, a clothing manufacturer, is welding bike frames?