mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Just wondering if this seems like a fair deal

Hi guys- I'm looking around at bikes on CL and was wondering if folks thought this was a fair deal. It's got some upgrades which are appealing.

At the same time I wonder if I should just save up the 300ish more bucks to get a new bike that will come with a warranty. I find that people selling on CL overprice a bit. I've been seeing the same bikes pop up every few weeks. This one has come down 50 bucks since its last ad.

2010 specialized rockhopper expert sl

Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Bicycle Blue Book says that's a pretty fair price if its in excellent condition 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert - New and Used Bike Value
    If you decide to buy new, you won't get a bike spec'd out like that for the price point you're suggesting. Maybe you should check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need a 10 sp clutch derailleur/shifter or chain guide to ride that setup and not drop your chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    eb1888, I'm just getting back into mt biking after a good 15 years and I'm afraid I'm really out of the loop. Do you think it might not be rideable just as is?

Also- I consider myself to be fairly weak as far as brute strength goes. Would I have trouble with that single speed front sprocket at 34 teeth? I have toured extensively over the last 10 years. When I bought my 2007 Trek 520 I had them put a 22 ring on the front so I could really get low up the hills loaded down and it was great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride a 32....on my triple.
    I wouldn't ride it over bumps like rocks and roots going downhill without installing the front derailleur at least.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It takes about one sale when the buyer is too happy to fork over the cash to start yield pricing. Offer $400 and see what happens. Ultimately, value on this bike is a gut check.

The ad says the ring is a narrow/wide. Supposedly, these retain the chain better. Still a taller gear than the 22/32 or 22/34 low that the usual 9-speed triple MTB setup would have.

An $850 retail bike is going to suck. Bro-deal or closeout, of course, all bets are off.

Is it the right size for you?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I checked the geo standover and it looks just right. It's about an hour drive from home so I haven't actually tested it though. I wanted to get an idea before I bugged him and made the trek over.