1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Just wondering if this seems like a fair deal

Hi guys- I'm looking around at bikes on CL and was wondering if folks thought this was a fair deal. It's got some upgrades which are appealing.

At the same time I wonder if I should just save up the 300ish more bucks to get a new bike that will come with a warranty. I find that people selling on CL overprice a bit. I've been seeing the same bikes pop up every few weeks. This one has come down 50 bucks since its last ad.

2010 specialized rockhopper expert sl

Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Bicycle Blue Book says that's a pretty fair price if its in excellent condition 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert - New and Used Bike Value
    If you decide to buy new, you won't get a bike spec'd out like that for the price point you're suggesting. Maybe you should check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need a 10 sp clutch derailleur/shifter or chain guide to ride that setup and not drop your chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    eb1888, I'm just getting back into mt biking after a good 15 years and I'm afraid I'm really out of the loop. Do you think it might not be rideable just as is?

Also- I consider myself to be fairly weak as far as brute strength goes. Would I have trouble with that single speed front sprocket at 34 teeth? I have toured extensively over the last 10 years. When I bought my 2007 Trek 520 I had them put a 22 ring on the front so I could really get low up the hills loaded down and it was great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride a 32....on my triple.
    I wouldn't ride it over bumps like rocks and roots going downhill without installing the front derailleur at least.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It takes about one sale when the buyer is too happy to fork over the cash to start yield pricing. Offer $400 and see what happens. Ultimately, value on this bike is a gut check.

The ad says the ring is a narrow/wide. Supposedly, these retain the chain better. Still a taller gear than the 22/32 or 22/34 low that the usual 9-speed triple MTB setup would have.

An $850 retail bike is going to suck. Bro-deal or closeout, of course, all bets are off.

Is it the right size for you?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I checked the geo standover and it looks just right. It's about an hour drive from home so I haven't actually tested it though. I wanted to get an idea before I bugged him and made the trek over.