1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Just Starting Out... What Bike.. etc???

Hello all!!
    I'm new here, just starting out in the sport and looking forward to sharing experiences, tips and advise from you all. Reading through briefly you all seem really nice.

Anyway, I recently purchased thsi bike from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120288879693

Did I get a good deal? What sort of things do you think I should upgrade? The front forks seem to be a bit too soft, especially when on the road. Anyoen recommend a good set? I estimate I am 80% road, 20% off road.

What other bikes can you recommend around the 600-700 / $1200-1400 mark ??

Regards,
    Tom

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN UP KID
    Just Starting Out... What Bike.. etc???
    Sounds like you're past needing help with this. At this point, don't worry about it, or what people think of your "deal". Go out and ride and enjoy it.

MTBR Member
    It looks like you picked up a nice bike there. Looks to be in good condition from the photos. But like stu said you've got the bike now just get out and ride. For right now you probably don't have to upgrade. You should probably just ride it as is and replace things if and when they break. Some things you could think about upgrading are things more like the seat. You want the bike to feel comfortable which will lead to your enjoyment of the sport, so things like the seat, grips, stem, handlebars could be a good place to start. If the ride is comfortable then just ride it. It has solid components all around. For starters, doesn't seem like you are going to be doing a whole lot of offroad riding, but it would probably good to have some essential gear if you don't already. Probably should start with the helmet(being most important), possibly a spare tube or two, tube patch kit and tools for changing a tire(tire levers), maybe a good multi-tool(allen keys, screw drivers, etc), looks like you probably already have a hand-pump so maybe you could pick up a floor pump, possibly a camelbak or just waterbottles(I find its easier to just pick up a camelbak that way have storage room for other things for the rides), a seat bag would be useful for tools, and then possibly some clothing items like gloves, or padded riding shorts. Those are a few things just off the top you might need to look into. Good luck with the new ride...I am sure you will enjoy it.
    Last edited by ncfisherman; 08-09-2008 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member

deal

Off the top of my head I think you got a very good deal.Being in the USA it would not be good.
    You really need to ask your Britt blokes.So if you got a good deal,I'd spend some money on a better fork.

mtbr member
    Thats an AWESOME bike, I would kill for a bike like that.I ride a GT Avalanche 3.0 disc

spec4life???..smh...
    Instead of replacing the fork go to your lbs and ask about a stiffer spring for it.

Most bikes come with a mid grade spring stock for people in the 150-200 mark, however you can get a softer one if your less or a stiffer one if your more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks everyone!! I am doing as you suggested, going out whenever I can, really getting into it now! Just need to get a bit fitter!!