1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Just purchased my first 29er

Hey what's going on? I just recently separated from the marine corps and was looking for a hobby/sport to take too. I found a 13' stumpjumper for $1375 shipped. It was ridden only a few times. Is this a decent price for one in good condition?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just purchased my first 29er-image.jpg  

Just purchased my first 29er-image.jpg  

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    if you already purchased it... before asking... isn't it a little irrelevant now?

Congrats on getting out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks and I was curious if I ripped myself off. When I found it on ebay it only had 10 min left.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You're not being very specific - there are about a dozen Stumpjumper hardtail models.

But yeah, sounds like a fair price for one of the cheaper ones. So you got somewhere between a fair and a great deal, depending on what, exactly, you bought.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If you still have a link to the auction... or just cut and paste the info on the bike... it may help a bit more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Looks like the bike is pretty clean... hope you are able to ride the size... based on height/inseam... GL

2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29 - BikePedia

Wouldn't be a bad purchase at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can you tell what model it is? Is it just called a stumpjumper comp ht?

mtbr member
    Looks like you got a really good deal. Right size as well. It is just called the Stumpjumper Comp HT 29. Hope you enjoy riding it. You will have to post back and let us know how you like it after a few rides. Good luck and have fun.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    it's pretty hard to get ripped off in ebay auction style, as they tend to beat any other source price wise. There are some exceptions to this rule.
    Ebay is the best source for buying bikes imo.

Also, u got 30days or so to find anything wrong with it, or if it wasn't as described.

Enjoy your new bike, you did good and saved a lot of money from doing the easy thing: lbs.

mtbr member
    That is probably about fair market price for that bike. You got a huge discount off the new price, but no warranty, bike shop support, etc.

Great bike for a beginner with all nice components that can last you years and years.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    It's a '13... probably a left over demo that they had... "If it's from a bike shop......" Wouldn't a demo bike still end up being considered a new bike.. Under the pretense of it was in no one else has owned or registered but the bike shop themselves.

This is just based on my opinion... you can ask the bike shop about the warranty legalities of the purchase... however everything else that would come with it is no local support/warranty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Specialized dealership around here are selling demo bikes same as yours for $1650+tax, so I say a good deal.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Everything looks great to me. It seems like you got a great deal, congrats!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Does anyone know if the bike has a negative fork air point?