1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Just picked up a new one!!!

After a long hiatus from riding I am back in the game. I rode bmx for years in addition to a 4500 trek.

This past week I picked up a leftover 2009 Felt Q720, got 25% off.
    It looks just like the following, however, mine has a dart 3 fork. Not sure how my bike came to have a dart 3, but it does.

I do have one question. From my bmx days I have a tendency to ride aggressively. How much abuse it the Q720 built for (jumps/drop-offs)?

The seat and pedals have to go, any recommendations?

Thanks, glad to be on here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you prefer platform pedals,
    Wellgo MG1 platforms from Abaxo on ebay.
    Just ordered my pair

Professional Speed Bump
    Even though the Q-series are XC bikes, it can handle a bit of hucking and chucking but I wouldn't do more than 3 foot drops and small jumps.

For anything bigger, you'll need AM or DJ bike which will handle more abuse.

Professional Speed Bump
    BTW....sweet bike, man. Congrats!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    sweet bike, congrats on your purchase

usually cranky
    saddle is very personal. lots of sweet cheap pedals out there. check out crc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks everyone!

I just picked up a WTB V pro gel for 30 bucks.

Atomic pedals for really cheap at my local shop. I would like to get some 50/50s, but I paid $20 for a new set of Atomics that retailed for over 50.

Looking forward to getting some trail time.

One more question though, what kind of maintenance should I be performing and at what intervals?

This bike has hydrolic brakes and a spring fork - any maintenance there?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitesigs
    Thanks everyone!

I just picked up a WTB V pro gel for 30 bucks.

Atomic pedals for really cheap at my local shop. I would like to get some 50/50s, but I paid $20 for a new set of Atomics that retailed for over 50.

Looking forward to getting some trail time.

One more question though, what kind of maintenance should I be performing and at what intervals?

This bike has hydrolic brakes and a spring fork - any maintenance there?
    I don't think that you will need to do maintenance on the brakes, unless they're misaligned (you'll know if they're misaligned if you hear a repetitive scratching sound when you spin the wheel). I really don't know if the fork needs to have regular maintenance. What I do, if I come from a mud ride, is wipe the fork stanchions with a soft towel.

local jackass
    sweet looking bike man as for the pedals i hav a set of funn vipers that are awesome and a set of shimano XT's for when i ride clipless as for the seat i have a WTB vigo and love it the rails are replacable if you ever bend them
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists