1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Just picked up my Giant Revel 0 today,,,,

This thing is sweet with the black/green paint job...here's a stock pic: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/....0/7509/44107/

It's much lighter than my son's new Giant Boulder with nice disc brakes and other upgraded components. Went for a ride and after sweating to death due to this heat wave, I was glad I picked this bike. The one thing I would change is I wish Giant put more of a knobby tire on it. It's mainly built for off-road use so I'm not sure why they put a hybrid tire on it????

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Congratulations on your new bike! I actually prefer the tires you have on now than big knobby tires. I don't like the drag you get with big meaty tires but if you ride on trials where there is a lot of loose dirt than maybe new knobby tires would be worthwhile.

mtbr member
    You did good

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Congrats on the new wheels, I've had my Revel 0 for a couple of months and it's a great machine. I haven't yet come across anything it won't take, and I've been trying

Regarding the tires, did yours come with the Kenda Small Block 8's? I find they're a pretty great tire for most conditions, except mud, in which they are quite below average. What pressures are you running? When I first got mine I didn't pay much attention, but eventually realized they were around 40 front and rear. Now I'm running around 28f 30r and found a huge difference, especially in loose gravel/rocky terrain. They also roll really well on the pavement. I'd suggest playing around with pressure a bit before you consider another tire.....that is of course if you don't spend too much time in the slop....

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by runkulus View Post
    Congrats on the new wheels, I've had my Revel 0 for a couple of months and it's a great machine. I haven't yet come across anything it won't take, and I've been trying

Regarding the tires, did yours come with the Kenda Small Block 8's? I find they're a pretty great tire for most conditions, except mud, in which they are quite below average. What pressures are you running? When I first got mine I didn't pay much attention, but eventually realized they were around 40 front and rear. Now I'm running around 28f 30r and found a huge difference, especially in loose gravel/rocky terrain. They also roll really well on the pavement. I'd suggest playing around with pressure a bit before you consider another tire.....that is of course if you don't spend too much time in the slop....

Happy trails!
    Yes, it's the same tire. I am running them at 40 both from and rear. I'll try lowering them and see how that does...thanks for the tip. They look like the same type of time that came on the Boulder. I would have thought that since the Revel is more suited to off-road they would have some knobbier tires. Having said all that, I will ride some on pavement so I'll give them a good try.

The SB8 is an off road tire. It's purposely designed to roll faster than a knobby at the expense of grip in corners. It's a decent tire, not the best for loose or muddy conditions. If you find that you don't like having your front tire sliding then you may want to consider a different front tire - I ran a nevegal up front and an SB8 in back the first part of this year. All the benefits of the fast back tire along with the bite of the nevegal up front.

Definitely play around with your pressure, lower it in increments until you find a pressure that you're comfortable with. You'll get there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneescar View Post
    The SB8 is an off road tire. It's purposely designed to roll faster than a knobby at the expense of grip in corners. It's a decent tire, not the best for loose or muddy conditions. If you find that you don't like having your front tire sliding then you may want to consider a different front tire - I ran a nevegal up front and an SB8 in back the first part of this year. All the benefits of the fast back tire along with the bite of the nevegal up front.

Definitely play around with your pressure, lower it in increments until you find a pressure that you're comfortable with. You'll get there.
    Yeah that's a good point....I have noticed with the SB8, no matter what the pressure my front tire does slip at times when I'm not expecting it. I was thinking of going with a nevegal in the front as well...but debating whether or not to go with a 2.1 or 2.35...

mtbr member
    I have the same bike and tires. I have SB8's w/ 2.1 rear and 2.35 front. 35psi rear 30 front. The lower pressure deff. helps.
    -Nick

mtbr member
    Cool Ride! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by runkulus View Post
    Yeah that's a good point....I have noticed with the SB8, no matter what the pressure my front tire does slip at times when I'm not expecting it. I was thinking of going with a nevegal in the front as well...but debating whether or not to go with a 2.1 or 2.35...
    I run a 2.1 and have never had a problem with it. I ride in Michigan so I encounter a lot of sand and loose dirt and that tire seems to be well suited for the type of riding I do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Interesting that the Revel 0 2011 in the USA is very simailar to the Talon 2 2012 in Australia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    nice bike.