1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. just a noob looking for upgrade advice

Hi everyone! I purchased the talon 27.5 - 5 . i love this bike and i put a lot of hard miles on it while learning the sport. I have improved a lot in the 7 months or so that i have been riding. the talon is a great bike, but the fork really craps on the performance of the bike. Even the higher model forks don't have the best reviews. sadly giant gave this bike a straight head tube, so my options are limited for a fork upgrade. I realized that if i am going to upgrade, i want to get a thru axle(15mm). This limits me even more. my budget for the fork is around 500. i would pay 700 if absolutely necessary but i found the x fusion velvet to be a well reviewed fork. My current fork is a suntour xct 100mm. I believe the tempt 0(the women model of the talon) has a fox 120mm fork and i wanted to get the velvet in 120mm. just wondering if that is a good call or not? i ride very technical single track as well as flawy xc.

Secondly, i want to upgrade my wheel set from the stock giant wheels. I wanted an all mountain wheel and to me durability is prioritized over the weight because i am a 200 pound athletic rider. so far i looked at the stans no tubes arch (recommended for riders up to 230 pounds). i like that they specify the weight recommendations. the only other one i found to compare was 100 dollars cheaper and its the american classic terrain($450). I want tubeless. does anyone have any input or recommendations to help my 2 decisions? anyone ever tried one of these products.

ps- im not trading in my bike lol. i know it will cost more in the long run to keep upgrading components, but i like this bike. so 1000 bucks set aside for wheels and fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There's a thread here about a trade in program for Suntour forks. I've used Stan's rims that I had built up ,no problems. I've also used American classic hubs I broke the rear hub by trying to true the rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do you have any recommendations in the 3-500 range? And suntour is garbage in customer service

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For 200 you can call Nick at Suntour and he will send you a Raidon air fork. It weighs 4.5 lbs vs 6.2 for your fork. It has a closed damper so it needs very little maintenance. It would be a giant step up from what you have. Put on an ArchEx/Hope front wheel and a light tire with good traction like a Nobby Nic Performnace. Add an SLX front brake cause that's all you will need. You will be able to move forward in skill development a lot.
    .SR Suntour North America | Consumer Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks a lot eb. I just want to get something better than suntour. Also from what I have seen, they don't offer a thru axle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would suggest going to 15 thru it's well worth the money spent....if u wait and shop u can get a fork for under 700.... I just got a 2014 float 32 150 ctd for under 700.... Now for wheels I own a set of stans arch just put them on my new build... They seem super strong and rigid and I got my set for under 500... We will see after a season....

On a side note I have a tricked out hardrock that most people cant believe when they ride it... It's heavy but rails... Do whatever you want because at the end of the day it's your bike... I'm fairly versed in bike upgrading shoot me a pm if your got questions

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jake ninehouse View Post
    Also from what I have seen, they don't offer a thru axle.
    Actually, they offer plenty of them:

ForksĀ*- SR SUNTOUR Cycling

Suntour has solid customer service. Nick has helped me out a few times with the upgrade program through the shop I work at. I wouldn't hesitate to run one of their nicer forks. X-Fusion is a great option to consider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks I will contact nick and PM you guys. Thanks for your time and the advice you guys gave me is valuable and I appreciate it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Price Point was running the Manitou Tower Pro for $249 but I don't know if it's still on sale there or not. That's what I run and I really like it. Since you are doing wheels and fork at the same time you might as well do the 15mm through axle. I wish I would have gone that route but I upgraded my fork months ago and just now did the wheels. As far as spending a bunch of money on your existing bike...who cares. It's your ride and if you want to upgrade it go for it. I've spent way more on upgrades than I did my bike and everyone one of them has made it better and more fun to ride. Plus, I plan to ride this frame a long time.

mtbr member
    Stan's wheels are great and a pretty good deal. Either arch ex or flow for your weight class. You won't have any regrets. Their standard hubs are ok. If you want to splurge on better hubs skip the Hope and get the DT Swiss (custom wheel configs).

mtbr member
    You probably already found out that its tough to find a good deal on any fork with a straight steerer tube that has a 15mm QR. I've had a few Giants and all of them run a 44mm headset which would make it possible to run an adapter such as the XX from Cane Creek so that your frame can take a tapered fork. You may want to look into the X Fusion Velvet which will run you around $400