1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Just looking for shoe ideas

I got this 2012 Rockhopper and wanted some input on clipless shoes. Need something that is versatile. I have flats on now because I need to walk around a lot when I ride.
    Just looking for shoe ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344754741.720663.jpg
    Just looking for shoe ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344754753.838568.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just looking for shoe ideas-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344754711.566867.jpg  

2012 Specialized Rockhopper '29

No good in rock gardens..
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I picked up a pair of shimano m087's after a couple of friends recommended them. Been using them for a couple months now and I'm very happy with them...barely notice they're on my feet. I'm a newb so I also have to walk some real technical sections and it's no problem.
    New guy...2012 Trek Xcal 29er

mtbr member
    Shoe fit is personal, go try some on.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations, these are a good starting point for me to check out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just bought some M077 Shimano great price from Chain Reaction, one recommendation try the pair you want at a local store or at least the make so you know the size and feel. Sad thing local store was $50 more expensive, in these tight times I got to watch the wallet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timenet View Post
    Just bought some M077 Shimano great price from Chain Reaction, one recommendation try the pair you want at a local store or at least the make so you know the size and feel. Sad thing local store was $50 more expensive, in these tight times I got to watch the wallet.
    I'm the same way, I always go for the best deal.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I like my Bontrager MTB Race shoes. I got them cheap as heck and they are comfortable, pretty tough and easy to walk in and the lugs give you plenty of traction. Some of the reviews about them complained of the loops that the straps pull through rip off but I've been using them for a couple years now and have yet to have it happen. I think as long as you don't hulk the velcro straps you'll be alright.

At the end of the day the choice is all up to you. Go try some shoes on, walk around in them and see how they feel. I wouldn't order them online.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bassmaster
    Jul 2012
    I have the Scott trail BOA shoes. I like the ratcheting strap system

Trail BOA Shoe - SCOTT Sports

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been using the Pearl Izumi X-Alp II shoes for the last year or so. They work great for my purposes. They aren't quite as stiff as a full on racing shoe but are comfortable to walk in, fit great and seem to be lasting really well.

I think they have a version III out now.

Also, I was leary about velcro and the ratchet strap but both have worked out just fine. No worries about what to do with the laces.

DC
    Last edited by DustyChap; 08-13-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Can't seem to type/spell properly...