1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Just a huge question

I am going to be given a brand new SuperCycle hooligan, I know this is a joke bike, like most mass superstore bikes. The only difference with me is I will be making this bike into a Frankenstein.

I am wanting to know how strong the frame is, I like the Y-structure FS frames better then the closed frames. I will be shopping around for new front forks and rear suspension shock. Installing low radius disc brakes and new hubs with it.

I will most definitely be changing that run of a mill shimano rear and front derailers, looking Sram derailers.

So again I ask how strong is the frame, I will be doing mostly some flat land trails and maybe about 5-6 ft ditches(sorry i dont know if to call it a drop in, drops, or dips).

Just some help, and please no trolling telling me to get a new frame, I will be making this a project to prove that a Mass Supermarket frame can be made into a decent bike.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't bother. My gf bought a similar bike..frame weighs a ton and the welds are questionable. Don't waste your time or money - save it for a better frame. Ride that bike till it breaks then move on.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    I wouldn't bother. My gf bought a similar bike..frame weighs a ton and the welds are questionable. Don't waste your time or money - save it for a better frame. Ride that bike till it breaks then move on.
    Yup

addicted to chunk
    Have fun throwing money away. You would be much better off buying an older used quality frame & build it up with the parts you like.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok so the welds are cheap, I expected as much(ive seen bikes with very bad welding, especially from schwin) Weight is something I can deal with, I tend to lean towards heavier bikes as they are great for building speed on a large incline.

I am trying to make this bike last, as I am short on budget, and when I can afford a better frame I would transfer my parts over to the newer frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    price the parts seperately. It would be cheaper to save to buy a nice bike instead of piece mealing the parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandNewDaddy View Post
    Ok so the welds are cheap, I expected as much(ive seen bikes with very bad welding, especially from schwin) Weight is something I can deal with, I tend to lean towards heavier bikes as they are great for building speed on a large incline.

I am trying to make this bike last, as I am short on budget, and when I can afford a better frame I would transfer my parts over to the newer frame.
    Sounds like you can't be dissuaded...you're short on budget but you're going to fork out serious dough on new forks? A decent one is at least $400 and above...so you're going to put a $400 fork on scrap metal sub $200 frame? Why not buy a used frame on craigslist and build it up? I got a 2008 Kona Five-O barely used for $140 which I'm currently building up.

...just by logic alone...just think about it, it's a mass produced sub $200 bike. What manufacturer would waste their worker's time to spend on quality welding? Also, materials...better aluminum cost more money. Do you think they can make a profit using better grade metals on a $200 bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    Sounds like you can't be dissuaded...you're short on budget but you're going to fork out serious dough on new forks? A decent one is at least $400 and above...so you're going to put a $400 fork on scrap metal sub $200 frame? Why not buy a used frame on craigslist and build it up? I got a 2008 Kona Five-O barely used for $140 which I'm currently building up.

...just by logic alone...just think about it, it's a mass produced sub $200 bike. What manufacturer would waste their worker's time to spend on quality welding? Also, materials...better aluminum cost more money. Do you think they can make a profit using better grade metals on a $200 bike?
    Damn, $400 I had been looking around and seen a decent set for atleast 150$, I just took a second look its a UK website, and I am in Montreal....I might just drop the money into the derailers, and disk brakes to make it a little more enjoyable of a ride, and save up money to build me a nice Frankenstein bike.

Personally on the FS what do you prefer the Y-frame or closed frame?

I have a friend who's a new dad with a new house and a very tight budget. I have ridden mtb with him on occasion, and he rides a department store hardtail frame. He started with the whole bike being dept store. As the dept store parts broke, he replaced them with low end, but better quality, parts. The guys at the LBS are annoyed when he comes in. And somewhat rightfully so.

IME from the rides I did with him, he ALWAYS had to adjust things on the trail. Just the tiniest thing would throw the brakes or the drivetrain out of adjustment and so we'd have to stop and fiddle with it to make it work. By this point, he's running respectable components in most places on this frame because all the dept store parts have failed. But because the frame is of questionable quality, it's flexier, QC is not as good so wheel alignment is out of whack. All this translates to endless fiddling. I had an old, but well maintained hardtail I offered to sell him for cheap which would have been a huge upgrade, but his wife vetoed it outright. shame.

feel free to chop that bike up and make something different out of it, but realize that it will never be a mountain bike. it will always be a sidewalk bike.

mtbr member

I don't have any experience on FS...from the sound of it, you're not doing some serious drops and crazy downhills...why even go FS? If you do need FS, the price gap between a decent HT to a decent FS is significantly higher...FS is also heavier and have more parts to maintain, have you considered a HT frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Someone get this man a Jeep bike!
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

mtbr member

Woah!! After a couple google searches I need to get my own Supercycle Hooligan. This thing is a badass downhill machine! Look at that frame design, dual crown fork, what size is that!? extra medium!? and look at that super beefy wheelset...oh...wait a minute

Nobody here is trolling you by telling you to start with a higher quality frame. That's just how it is. Unless you're a kid riding a sidewalk, there is no use for department store "mountain bikes".

mtbr member
    ^^^^^

Goon de Saint Goonery
    Jul 2009
    As previously stated, if you're on that sort of budget, just try to get a used hardtail or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorlando25 View Post
    Do the wave!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Damn, $400 I had been looking around and seen a decent set for atleast 150$, I just took a second look its a UK website, and I am in Montreal....I might just drop the money into the derailers, and disk brakes to make it a little more enjoyable of a ride, and save up money to build me a nice Frankenstein bike.

UK site? You know what shipping would be?! Recon silver from Price Point is $150 US before shipping duties etc (ok fork). I'd personally not get anything short of a recon gold for xc (if going rockshox), downhill.. I dunno, but that's no downhill frame. If you are really looking to put parks on that.. get a used fork.

Good luck on the disk brakes. There are definitely no rear disc mounts (nor front ones on the stock shock it looks). At best you could put a disc on front by getting a new fork.

Either ride it as is, or if you are looking to build up a bike then get a better starting point. You could get a much better starting point by buying a used frame and components for the price of one of those new.

Hmmm.. now that I typed that out I think we got trolled

mtbr member
    Go with a used quality bike off craigslist.
    '12 Specialized RH 29er
    '00 Specialized RH FSR Comp
    And a few beaters for around town

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    Hmmm.. now that I typed that out I think we got trolled
    think you got it

Master Shredder
    ....take these peoples' advice...sell the hooligan for like $50 and scour CL for a nice used hardtail...
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am going to be given a brand new SuperCycle hooligan, I know this is a joke bike, like most mass superstore bikes. The only difference with me is I will be making this bike into a Frankenstein.

I am wanting to know how strong the frame is, I like the Y-structure FS frames better then the closed frames. I will be shopping around for new front forks and rear suspension shock. Installing low radius disc brakes and new hubs with it.

I will most definitely be changing that run of a mill shimano rear and front derailers, looking Sram derailers.

So again I ask how strong is the frame, I will be doing mostly some flat land trails and maybe about 5-6 ft ditches(sorry i dont know if to call it a drop in, drops, or dips).

Just some help, and please no trolling telling me to get a new frame, I will be making this a project to prove that a Mass Supermarket frame can be made into a decent bike.

The bike isn't going to last you very long if you plan on doing drops on it. If the welds last, the wheels won't. If the wheels last, the drivetrain won't. Sorry. I am with everyone else on this. Don't waste your time or money. Sell it, get a used decent bike on Craigslist, and start with a good base.