1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    sponge
    Jun 2008

Just got my frist true mnt bike

Hello I am brand new to Mountain biking.. I did a little in high school but never invested in getting my own bike or truly got into it.
    But this last week my tax return came in and I thought I deserved to get myself a gift.

So today I finally broke and picked up a Specialized Rock Hopper. I took it for a 2 hour ride on some trails in the training area of Fort Hood where I am stationed and immediately knew I had made the right choice to start riding again and to take it a bit more serious.

Tomorrow I plan to pick up some new tires cause the stock tires the bike came with have very little traction as well as some clip-less peddles / shoes. And after just a 2 hour ride I already realize I need some good riding shorts with some pads.

So here I am taking in the wealth of information doing my best to be a sponge and soak it all in.

mtbr member
    Rockhoppers are great bikes. My son rides one, and I've a Rockhopper frame that I hope to build up for myself before winter hits. Glad you're enjoying yours.

mtbr member
    Congrats and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ah yes, welcome to the fold. Can't think of a better way to part with that economic stimulus check myself.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have fun out there! Just got a Rockhopper (Disc) myself, I can't get out to the trails quickly enough.

There is some great info on the boards(great way to kill time at work)