1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Just got back into mountain biking!

Hello everybody.

So l used to go on rides with some friends but they all stopped for various reasons over a decade ago.

I never enjoyed going out on my own so my 1999 Marin Attack Trail gathered dust.

This year some friends asked me to find bikes second hand for them, which l did.
    This got me thinking was l too old to get back into it myself?
    I sold the Marin and bought a Cube LTD. What followed was a realisation of how much fun l had been missing!
    To hell with it. I was not totally unfit as l had been doing some walking.
    I used to be a bit of a headcase on descents so after a few months sold the Cube and bought a Kona full suspension.
    So far l have not looked back! My fitness level is slowly improving and l can now manage a local 10 mile route which is all either up or down, so fairly hard work.

And best of all l have discovered that l now really enjoy going out on my own, although l do have a couple of friends that l sometimes go out with.
    Long may the fun continue!
    Last edited by lotusdriver; 09-16-2013 at 01:33 AM.