1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

just getting started

whats going on? i was wondering if anybody could help me out. im just getting in mtbing and i want to get a decent bike for fairly cheap(350-400). i plan on gettin into and buying a better bike later on so i dont want to spend to much. im into climbing , downhill, and alittle jumping/dropoffs here and there.i dont really know if i should get a hardtail or dual suspension. im about 6'2'' 200lbs. my friends are all into it just not to helpfull. im used to riding freestyle bmx, so if anyone has any bike suggestions or tips it would be great.

thanks

Eager MTB-ing nub
    Apr 2007
    For your budget, you need to go hard tail.

Go to bike shops. Test bikes. Find one that feels right. Purchase!

Don't sweat buying the perfect bike right now if your budget is that low and you plan on buying another in the near future.

Cheezy Rider
    At that price range, stick with a hardtail. Full suspension bikes for that price tend to be heavy with low quality components. Visit a couple bike shops and see what they have to offer

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Check out the specialized hardrock. it has a burly jumping type frame, with low end xc components. kind of the best of both worlds built to a (low) price.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i also heard the trek 4300 is good sturdy bike for the amount of money

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow111
    i also heard the trek 4300 is good sturdy bike for the amount of money
    Yeah, I believe the 4500 is a nicer bike for not too much more, but I wouldn't swear to that. Either was if you wanna jump cheap, the Hardrock is prolly a better bet.

One-Winged Angel
    I have a Trek 4300 and I love it. I tried that and the Specialized Hardrock, and while the Hardrock had a slightly spongier front shock, the Trek was WAY better in every other category. Was about eighty bucks less, too!

I use my bike mostly for XC trails and crosstown riding though, so I'm not sure if it'll be good for what you're looking to do with it.

MTBR Demi-God
    As everyone mentioned, a hardtail from an LBS is definitely the way to go. Trek 4300 is a pretty decent entry level bike, and it will definitely help you learn a lot about the sport. As you progress and get to know what type of riding you like to do the most, then go ahead and buy a sick bike specially designed for that kind of riding.

That being said, I do know for a fact that Hardrock is also as good as the 4300.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

I can ride a two-wheeler

Looking for downhill bike

i have an 05' hardrock.... only done xc riding....... but the dick brakes stop real well, but the fork its still a little hard for me....the highest jump i probably took it on was about 5 feet, and it worked fine

.......looking to try some downhill with it in a few weekends...

now im looking for a downhill bike in the 800-1500$ range....and i have no idea what to get...any help is great

mtbr member
    On that budget I'd definitely get a hard tail.

Go out to all your local LBSs and ride as many bikes as you can within and slightly outside your price range. Pick the one that you think you will ride the most! After all the point is to ride!

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasmunka63@hotmail.com
    i have an 05' hardrock.... only done xc riding....... but the dick brakes stop real well, but the fork its still a little hard for me....the highest jump i probably took it on was about 5 feet, and it worked fine

.......looking to try some downhill with it in a few weekends...

now im looking for a downhill bike in the 800-1500$ range....and i have no idea what to get...any help is great
    rscycle.com has some 7points and Kumchos and i think a Commencal Supreme 6 in your price range...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks alot... i went out and tested a bunch of different bikes and models... i think im

gonna pay alittle more and get the rockhopper. felt real nice and seemed to have a better

geometry for what im lookin (compared to the hardrock, and the trek4300-4500)