1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    banned
    Mar 2011

Just get out of my way, walkers!

I ride on this 6 mile paved walking trail through the woods and along a river just for some nice, easy cruising and something different from pounding trails. I go quite often and lots of cyclist too, but the walkers lumbering around not looking or anything...I get so tired of yelling "on your left" Still you have to break momentum, because you never know which dip-**** won't know his left and slide in front of you, SPLAT!

I'm thinking of getting a whistle.....it takes to much breath for me to keep yelling "on your left"
    and half the people get scared to hell when I sneak up in the back of them lol.... I can't count how many "Oh ****" or "sorry" I have heard lol.

Damn near took down a 4 year old on a 20 dollar, tiny Huffy with training wheels the other day lmao...

Had to come down from a pumped up power sprint in 24th gear down to a 3rd gear crawl with a handful of brakes.

Oh and dogs on leashes.... I have to jump off for that....no telling which way they will go...or if the owner will pull it to the side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i sport a bell on my commuter. i want an ooga horn, but not sure if i can find one.

mtbr member
    Dude you can't be serious. You have to be trolling here. And if this is a troll, then your other thread is probably a troll too, and that's just wrong man.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    i run over grandpas/dogs/kids constantly. that'll teach em to walk on pavement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Time for a reality check here!

The reality check is you need to accept that you are the over taking vehicle. You have the responsibility to do so safely, and for our sport, courteously. If you are riding on a walking trail you need to get off your high horse and thank people for giving room and having dogs on leash.

Save the hate for someone who cares...

JMHO
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede_Illusion View Post
    I ride on this 6 mile paved walking trail through the woods and along a river just for some nice, easy cruising and something different from pounding trails. I go quite often and lots of cyclist too, but the walkers lumbering around not looking or anything...I get so tired of yelling "on your left" Still you have to break momentum, because you never know which dip-**** won't know his left and slide in front of you, SPLAT!

I'm thinking of getting a whistle.....it takes to much breath for me to keep yelling "on your left"
    and half the people get scared to hell when I sneak up in the back of them lol.... I can't count how many "Oh ****" or "sorry" I have heard lol.

Damn near took down a 4 year old on a 20 dollar, tiny Huffy with training wheels the other day lmao...

Had to come down from a pumped up power sprint in 24th gear down to a 3rd gear crawl with a handful of brakes.

Oh and dogs on leashes.... I have to jump off for that....no telling which way they will go...or if the owner will pull it to the side.
    At what point in time did you think your mountain bike has the right of way on a PAVED trail?? You cant seriously think walkers on pavement need to move out of your way...Go find a trail to ride on...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ignorance. Someone delete this thread please.

mtbr member
    You need to get one of those boat horns and just push the button every time you see someone walking on the walking trail. WTF are they doing on the walking trail anyway I mean the nerve of some people.

mtbr member
    I can understand your frustration but really. You shouldn't WANT to speed on a walking trail with people, dogs and kids. Just bad for everyone involved. Best case scenario for you is some one beats your ass for acting the fool. Better to learn your lesson that way than sending someone, maybe you too to the hospital, maybe getting sued for it. I speed all the time, when it's safe to do so. I'd also consider it my fault if I crashed into someone because I couln't slow down in time. Of coarse it's a pain when people get in your way but come on really? I mean the nerve, people walking on a walking trail. What are they thinking? Don't they have eyes in back of their heads?
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-18-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Yeah bro I think if the trail is marked walking you need to slow down. If I am out walking with my wife and kid we stay on the walking trail because it is marked walking trail. You don't ever see me walking with my family along the mtb trail. All joking aside I don't understand your frustration or this thread is this a joke?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm very new to the sport, but so far everywhere I've taken my bike has had very clear rules posted that everyone can easily understand. On the MTB trails here in the Atlanta area like Blankets Creek and Olde Rope Mill, walkers hikers & dogs are allowed but not recommended...and must yield right of way to bikers at all times. On the trails I've been to at Sope Creek and Iron Hill, it's the opposite...bikers are allowed but must yield to anybody else on the trail. So far, everyone I've encountered has been very courteous about this whether they're on wheels or foot, and generally seem to follow the rules the sign at the trail head states. When I'm riding Blankets Creek hikers take 2 steps off the trail, stand and watch me go by, I say thanks as I'm passing or hello, they do the same, and life is good. When I'm on the jogging trail that leads to sope creek mtb trails, I give pedestrians tons of room, an "on your left" when passing 'em, and totally don't mind slowing down if their dog is hyper or their kid is wandering. I also very rarely knock toddlers out of the way to cut in line for ice cream or knock the walker out from under old ladies when they're in my way at the grocery store.

T.W.O.
    The rules are quite simple uphill riders have the right of way and bikers yield to everyone. We are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to trail access, get used to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I understand the OPs frustration with this. Yes, its a multi purpose trail, so you have to give the walkers the right of way and announce your presense, and you have to be courteous. However, some people are clueless, like the ones who stand on one side of the trail, and are holding a leash attached to their dog on the opposite side of the trail. There are also people who move left when you yell, "on your left" and that kind of a thing, and also the people who don't move at all when you pass them. I will say that getting a little bike bell would be a good idea. You just ring it a few times as you are approaching people, and most "get it" and politely move out of the way.

mtbr member
    You're kidding, right? Not cool if you're endangering four-year-olds.

Find a different place to ride when you want to hammer. Paved paths are for those wanting to toodle along on geezer bikes.

mtbr member
    Self absorbed MTB'er on a paved trail: "Don't these $&%*# people know I should have the right of way?!?!"
    Self absorbed MTB'er on a road: "Don't these $&%*# cars know I should have the right of way?!?!"
    Self absorbed MTB'er on an unpaved trail: "Don't these $&%*# bikers know I should have the right of way?!?!"

Don't be self absorbed... Let others pass and give fair warning you want to pass...
    Last edited by marpilli; 07-19-2011 at 06:57 AM.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Well some 14 people so far so it looks like the juries in. Be thankful it's not a real jury. You give cyclist a bad name for good reason.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    The rules are quite simple uphill riders have the right of way .
    This all depends on the trail.

mtbr member
    Mountain biking 101...........

Read them and abide by them or else stay off your bike.

http://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpeteinsc View Post
    This all depends on the trail.
    I would like to see one example of a multi use trail where bikers do not yield to pedestrians. I can imagine special circumstances, but the rule is the triangle sign that was just posted.

Go find somewhere else to ride; is there any wonder why there are access issues and traffic confrontations for bicycles around the country? You're doing every single one of us a disservice by thrashing your way down a trail populated by slow moving pedestrians and children and complaining about it. There has got to be better places for you to ride than that.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    All I do is put on some baggier than usual jean shorts with a nice thin belt, no undies.

HAHAHAHHA!!!^^^^ He obviously knows what he's doing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What about this one ...

2 way paved bike lane:
    4 bikers total
    2 going north, 2 going south
    North biker1 stays in our side of the 2 way lane and never budged
    My gf had to swerve to avoid collision as both north bikers took up the entire bike path

My question is this: Should I have stopped and notified them that it is a 2 way lane? Or just blatantly play some chicken, which I would've lost since north biker1 didn't even flinch.

The thing with this bike path is there are 2 sections:
    1 two-way bike lane, clearly marked (often) with line painted showing direction of travel with arrows.
    1 walking path adjacent to bike lane

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagePree View Post
    What about this one ...

2 way paved bike lane:
    4 bikers total
    2 going north, 2 going south
    North biker1 stays in our side of the 2 way lane and never budged
    My gf had to swerve to avoid collision as both north bikers took up the entire bike path

My question is this: Should I have stopped and notified them that it is a 2 way lane? Or just blatantly play some chicken, which I would've lost since north biker1 didn't even flinch.

The thing with this bike path is there are 2 sections:
    1 two-way bike lane, clearly marked (often) with line painted showing direction of travel with arrows.
    1 walking path adjacent to bike lane
    Easy: yes you should have stopped and notified them it is a 2 way bike lane. Where's the issue?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There isn't an issue - more of a vent.
    What irked me was my gf was the lead bike; she gave her eye contact and north biker1 either did not care or did not understand that she was in our lane.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I would like to see one example of a multi use trail where bikers do not yield to pedestrians. I can imagine special circumstances, but the rule is the triangle sign that was just posted.
    Since I'm new to the forums it won't let me post a link to the page but Blankets Creek just north of Atlanta specifically says hikers yield to bikes. Go to www dot sorbawoodstock dot org slash trails & see for yourself. (Looks like I need to start posting more so it'll let me post links!

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    I ride on this 6 mile paved walking trail

So youre riding 30 mph (+/-) on a "walking trail?" Maybe when your Grandma gets pummeled by a biker on the same path you'll realize your mistake.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast