1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    W'bu V Peddler

... and if we just ... Just did my first wrenching...

Yesturday as soon as the UPS man handed me the boxes I began ripping open the packages like it was christmas. I orded a new crankset, pedals, and better grips. I had just finished my workbench in my garage and enjoyed getting to use it. Getting the old cheap FSA crank off was kind of fun but the new Stylo was easy going. It was cool to finally do some wrenching on my MTB...pictures will come, I'm updating from the phone.
    09 Titus Motolite...
    Sram X-7 Group (for now)
    Clark Skeletal Brakes
    Truvativ Stylo Crank
    Crank Bros Pedals

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Congrats, Feels good to do ur own work on ur bike

mtbr member
    I really enjoy working on my own bike. I won't do fork and shock rebuilds, but I can do most anything else.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    awesome , same here just stared on mtb since last September and I have done all my adjustments and replacements myself, I'm expecting new pedals as well can't wait.it does feels good doesn't it

W'bu V Peddler
    More then just riding I wanted to get into the maintenance side of MTB'n. I am an airplane mechanic for the Air Force and I love tinkering with stuff.
    09 Titus Motolite...
    Sram X-7 Group (for now)
    Clark Skeletal Brakes
    Truvativ Stylo Crank
    Crank Bros Pedals