1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

just bought some new bikes

Well, I just joined the forums today and did some researching while I was bored at work. My wife and I have been wanting to get some bikes for quite some time now and so I decided to do some research and I found this site. Im not new to mountain bikes, but I am new to non-department store mountain bikes and I realize what ive been missing. Ill never be going to department store.

At first I was looking at some Mongoose's that I saw at Dick's Sporting Goods. Then I read on here how much of a waste it is to buy any bike from a department store. So I went and visited my local bike shop today and we ended up getting some Diamondback Outlook's for my wife and I. My question is how do u tell what the year of the bike is? I forgot to ask the salesperson while we were there and I figured someone would know here.

Here are some pictures
    Mine

Wife's

ride hard take risks
    Welcome back to the wonderfull world of MTB, ride on. Your bike matches the '05 cataloge but your wifes might be a '04. The on line catiloge does'nt go that far back.

http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...37&childid=306

Formerly DMR For Life
    as per dogonfr yours is an 05 and your wifes is an 04

*note the 04 db catalogue can be downloaded*

DMR

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks guys for the info. We took them out for a spin and we love them. Its a nice beginner bike to start out with and who knows where it will take me from there. If I really get into mountain biking then I will upgrade, but for now this will do the job for me for years to come

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sorry to go off-topic but... heh! Hello Mr. Scrimp! Visiting these forums as you recommended! lol

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcosca
    Sorry to go off-topic but... heh! Hello Mr. Scrimp! Visiting these forums as you recommended! lol
    Welcome home!! OT is sometimes needed to say things every once in awhile, it be okeyadokey. It's all a good time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcosca
    Sweet glad u dropped on by

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scrimp
    Sweet glad u dropped on by
    Sure thing! I mean, I am searching for a bike! What better place to get information than this one?