1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Just bought new bike and have basic questions.

Hey guys.....I have been wanting a bike for a while but was completely unsure of what I needed to get. I am 25 now and rode bmx bikes about 10 years ago but am completly new to the MTB scene. I went to my local bike shop and I immediatly saw a cannondale f400 on sale for a fairly decent price of 650. Not knowing much I talked with the sales person and I liked the bike but I wasnt sure about the sizing aspect. I am 5'10 and the bike is a large frame. After moving the seat up some it felt good but at the same time I dont know how a bike is suposed to ride. I am usually a very analistic so I decided to just get the bike on a whim. I just have a few questions, I really appreciate this guys...

1. Is a large frame cannondale 06 f400 around the right size for my height 5'10
    2. I was looking for a bike to ride on light trails and maybe so some small jumps with, it this a good selection.
    3. What is a 29" bike, just curious.

I may be buyers remorse kicking in but I want to make sure I made a good choice. Thanks for answering my N00B questions.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    #1. IDK, you might want to check C-Dale's site to see sizing info

#2. Yes, you'll be just fine

#3. 29'' bike refers to size of wheels/tires. Reg mtn bikes use 26" tires. I think 29ers are more for taller folks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grnxb
    #1. IDK, you might want to check C-Dale's site to see sizing info

#2. Yes, you'll be just fine

#3. 29'' bike refers to size of wheels/tires. Reg mtn bikes use 26" tires. I think 29ers are more for taller folks.
    Thanks for the quick response. I meant a 26".....I cant believe I didnt think about that being wheel size.....I feel like a moron.

I wish I did more research before buying but hopefully I made a good selection. I would love to do the trail jumping type riding but there is not really anywhere to do that here so I guess this XC style bike will be good. I probably could have spent less on a bike since I am not going to be very hard on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A friend of mine decided he wanted to get a bike for health reasons (fun was an afterthought) He wants to lose a lot of weight and get his heart used to something besides video games and tv. I helped him pick out a bike and after going to 4 shops, he ended up with the exact same model as you for about the same price. I thought it was the best mix of components for the price.

I guess what I'm saying is you made an excellent decision and should not be worrying that you didn't research enough. I think it is a great bike and you got a good deal on it. It should work perfectly for trail riding small jumps as long as you are under 230 lbs. My friend is 250 lbs and I think he will be just fine on it (but he isn't planning on doing any jumping either) so you should be ok.

He is 6ft tall and purchased a large frame. He has a 32" inseam. It is slightly too small for him (but not small enough that he should have gotten an XL). I would guess it should fit you just fine, but if you feel like you are too stretched out, a shorter/taller stem would more than likely fix that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitoman
    A friend of mine decided he wanted to get a bike for health reasons (fun was an afterthought) He wants to lose a lot of weight and get his heart used to something besides video games and tv. I helped him pick out a bike and after going to 4 shops, he ended up with the exact same model as you for about the same price. I thought it was the best mix of components for the price.

I guess what I'm saying is you made an excellent decision and should not be worrying that you didn't research enough. I think it is a great bike and you got a good deal on it. It should work perfectly for trail riding small jumps as long as you are under 230 lbs. My friend is 250 lbs and I think he will be just fine on it (but he isn't planning on doing any jumping either) so you should be ok.

He is 6ft tall and purchased a large frame. He has a 32" inseam. It is slightly too small for him (but not small enough that he should have gotten an XL). I would guess it should fit you just fine, but if you feel like you are too stretched out, a shorter/taller stem would more than likely fix that.
    Mucho thanks, the replies do make me feel better about my purchase. After riding it somemore I do like it alot. I went to the bike shop looking to speed about 300-350 on a bike but the local bikes shops dont have anything in that price range. It makes me feel bettter to know that I made a good investment.
    Last edited by superponch7; 04-29-2007 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Just ride around the area, you might be surprised in what you find. Good places to look are in the woods around parks or in the woods alongside paved bike trails. A lot of times you will find trails with jumps already built too. I just started too, and for me a lot of the fun is trying to find new trails!

Bike to the Bone...
    I had a medium Jeckyll about two years ago. I'm 5'11", but I found the bike small for me, so maybe you're fine with the Large. If I were to buy another Cannondale I would go for a Large.

It's just how you feel riding it.

Most mountain bikes have 26" sized wheels, but some bikes have 29" wheels. There are some advantages and some disadvantages to the different sizes.

Cannondale is a very good brand, and if you're starting riding with one you're on the right track... cheers!

Bike to the Bone...
    Why do you feel like a moron because you didn't thought something about something new that you don't have much experience? It's far better asking that ASSuming.

You don't need to ride hard a bike to justify it's cost. Sometimes a better bike does not make it stronger, just better handling and more reliable. If you really hook into cycling, you have a great frame to build on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I want to ride really bad now.........I was afraid this was going to happen. Must resist......