1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

just bought my first pair of shorts, have a question

i just bought a pair of cannondale innershort with pad to wear under my normal shorts. this is my first pair to hopefully get rid of some butt pain on longer rides. silly question. do i wear underwear with these things?

mtbr member
    you dont wear anything under bike shorts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nope

mtbr member

... and if we just ... what to wear under shorts

The "OLD" stykle biking shorts had a leather chamois that you used "chamois butter" to get them to soften. With the newer man made chamois one doesn't need to add anything to the chamois. I use "bag balm" in the big green can to aid in no hurt butt. There are other "butt creams" out there. Another biggie is the seat itself to ensure comfort.
    Good luck!
    PS I went about a year after started riding till I got my first bike shorts dumb move should have gotten them waaaay sooner!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Keep in mind that what you're ultimately going for is to harden, or train, your butt - the padded shorts help you get there and stay there.

Used to call it a 'callous,' along the lines of thickening up your taint (not that you're literally wadding up an inch-thick layer like you have on your palm-pads or heel - but then again, some of the guys I hang with...).

Just like working out sore muscles, you'll work out the sore butt, but just keep working at it.

Professional Amateur
    I rode for about 8 months with boxers under bike shorts until I finally asked someone how they avoided chafing from longer rides. I felt really dumb afterwards, good for you for asking first!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hope the shorts help. However I second the comment about the saddle being important too. Note that it isn't necessarily better to have a softer saddle though. If your problem is with blood being cut off, or squishy bits being squished too much - you may need a harder saddle not a softer one - or one which has a shape to support your weight on your 'sitting bones' better. There can be a trade off between a narrower saddle - good for shifting your weight backwards - and a wider one which is good for supporting you on the bones. Also it's really worth playing with the position and angle of the saddle too. Unfortunately it's a bit of a personal thing. I changed my friends saddle when I borrowed the bike and the old one broke. The new one is pretty good for me. She refuses to use it even to get to work on - called the bike 'unrideable'.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnot
    Hope the shorts help. However I second the comment about the saddle being important too. Note that it isn't necessarily better to have a softer saddle though. If your problem is with blood being cut off, or squishy bits being squished too much - you may need a harder saddle not a softer one - or one which has a shape to support your weight on your 'sitting bones' better. There can be a trade off between a narrower saddle - good for shifting your weight backwards - and a wider one which is good for supporting you on the bones. Also it's really worth playing with the position and angle of the saddle too. Unfortunately it's a bit of a personal thing. I changed my friends saddle when I borrowed the bike and the old one broke. The new one is pretty good for me. She refuses to use it even to get to work on - called the bike 'unrideable'.
    I second the seat comment. My first bike had a Serfas gel seat on it. Since I was new to the sport, it felt good to me with its squishy feel. On my recent 29er build, I put a WTB Rocket V seat on the bike. Much "less" of a seat, but it feels much better on long rides.

Singletrack +1
    Isn't it weird how that works? A higer end seat, like your Rocket V and my Pure V are actually SMALLER in size, and FEEL less padded, yet i find that they're actually quite a bit more comfortable. Gel is kinda hyped up for what you get, especially in AM. Better off getting something that FITS right, and you won't have pain for much longer anyway.
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

Dirt Deviant
    I've found that a firmer seat actually gives your body better support. I am a firm believer in padding your body not your bike.
    I've always gotten a kick out of those gel seat covers......people actually still use those things....LOL
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Butt creams hehe, but no for most biking shorts, if you wear underwear underneath, it'll get pretty.. soaked in like 10 minutes. It's happened before, and trust me its not a good feeling.
    For the butt pain, I think it's pretty normal, it'll just go away as you ride more and more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why the heck don't they just pad the bike seats? It can't be for weight because that extra weight will still be there if the clothing has the pads sewn in.

mtbr member
    Because the seat wont follow the curves of your body no matter which position you're siting in the saddle.

mtbr member
    No!! Most underwear is made from cotton. Cotton does not wick sweat away, which = chaffing . So, unless you do not sweat, don't wear underwear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use boxers with bike shorts and go comando with lycra.
    Don't use boxers with lycra, ever. You'll end up with some sort of blister on your but.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Why the heck don't they just pad the bike seats? It can't be for weight because that extra weight will still be there if the clothing has the pads sewn in.
    the chamois in your shorts isnt for padding, its to soak up sweat, that and no seams will keep you from getting saddle sores

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound
    I rode for about 8 months with boxers under bike shorts until I finally asked someone how they avoided chafing from longer rides. I felt really dumb afterwards, good for you for asking first!
    LOL. Are you serious? Boxers?

Professional Amateur
    sadly, yes. I also just recently found out I can take those cardboard inserts and silica packets out of my shoes. My feet are much happier now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownLefty
    Because the seat wont follow the curves of your body no matter which position you're siting in the saddle.
    Maybe not but there will be soft material on any part of the seat, no matter where you plant your rear. Seems to me they don't do this to the seats just to keep the bike weight down. But this doesn't matter as what does matter is total weight, which includes the rider with gear.