1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

just bought my first mountain bike

hello all, first post...

ill start with saying normally im a post first, buy second kind of guy. i have been researching bikes for almost a year, never really having all the money i wanted for a new bike. last week on craigslist i came across a trek 4600 from the mid 2000s for 50$ needing a little work, and a good cleaning.. it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and i called a bike buddy and he agreed, for 50$ the worst that can happen is a sell it and make a few dollars on it.

just bought my first mountain bike-img_20130430_152907-1-.jpg

so here she is..i can tell that its only been used as a city commuter really.

from my research its a 4500 with sram x7 components. i had it tuned up from an experienced bike mechanic, all the wheels are straight, shifts perfectly and rides great.

my personal bike experience is alot of dirt bmx as a youngster(hitting 7-10 footers was my max), but i stopped riding when i was 16 and im 24 now..

so what do you guys think, good first bike to experience the trails or sell it and move on to a newer bike?

mtbr member
    Hit the trails man, if the bug bites you real hard then you can sell it and get something a little more modern. It'll be a blast!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    GREAT buy! I still have my Trek 4500 that I bought with my hard earned cash in the 8th grade (I'm 24 y.o. now). I rode that bike HARD from then until about 2008, which is when I bought the FS I ride now.

Still have the 4500 as a commuter, & just recently did a major overhaul due to original drivetrain totally wearing out. I still throw some nobbies on there to use as an MTB loaner when needed.

I always recommend learning how to ride on a hard tail. So hit the trails & have a blast!

~Kirby

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    I might catch some flak for this but I have always liked the look of Treks. They are a lot of bang for the buck. Especially if you get one of the disc models. Ride it until it dies!
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    sweet, cant wait for this weekend!