1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Just Bought My 1st Bike (2011 Gary Fisher Wahoo)

Hey all, I am a new member here and am also new to mountain biking. I have rode cheap mountain bikes in the past, only on paved roads. I am 33 years old and have recently taken up running to improve my cardio (have always been in the gym building muscle) and to shed my bulky frame down.

I recently had a itch to get into mountain biking. After doing research for a couple of weeks I decided on the Trek Wahoo Gary Fisher, my original budget was $400-500 range, I was looking at the Trek 3700 and the Trek 3900. As I continued to educate myself through my LBS, and most importantly this great forum, I came across the Wahoo. I then compared it to the 3700 and 3900 and it was a easy decision.

I happened to get lucky as well, my LBS was having a 10% off sale so I walked out the door for $660 after taxes, all in all I feel I made the right move for a beginner bike. I will be hitting the trails asap and I can't wait. Most importantly I will be going to buy a helmet this week along with some gear to protect my body. If anyone has any pointers for a noob like myself, I am all ears.

Some pics!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Awesome! You're going to love the Wahoo, I know this because I love mine...it's such a great bike! Anyway, Welcome! Jersey.
    Jersey

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jersey*
    Awesome! You're going to love the Wahoo, I know this because I love mine...it's such a great bike! Anyway, Welcome! Jersey.

Thanks for the welcome man! I only took it around the block tonight because it was late, I did a quick 2 miles. The only thing I did not like, the pedals feel a bit small and cheap, so if anyone can recommend a upgrade on the pedals at a reasonable price, I would greatly appreciate it. I can already tell, this is going to be a expensive hobby.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Enjoy the Wahoo I have an 09 and its been a great bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That's a good looking bike! If you're looking for a good platform pedal, that's big with a lot of grip, check out the DMR V8. Can be had for about $30 shipped and come in a plethora of colors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I almost bought a Wahoo, but the weight was an issue and ouch $660, my LBS was at $550. Nice bike enjoy it. Tried Trek 4500 Matte Onlyx next to the Wahoo and Wahoo was noteably heavier. Of course the Trek 4500 was $800, but I almost went for it when they told me $700. Its gotta be 5lb to 10lb less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold
    I almost bought a Wahoo, but the weight was an issue and ouch $660, my LBS was at $550. Nice bike enjoy it. Tried Trek 4500 Matte Onlyx next to the Wahoo and Wahoo was noteably heavier. Of course the Trek 4500 was $800, but I almost went for it when they told me $700. Its gotta be 5lb to 10lb less.
    5 to 10 lbs? There's no way.

mtbr member
    The Wahoo is an excellent choice. You did well, imho.

Good photos too.

Floor needs work though .

Hey, just kidding about the floor. Seriously, welcome to the world of mountain-biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    The Wahoo is an excellent choice. You did well, imho.

Good photos too.

Floor needs work though .

Hey, just kidding about the floor. Seriously, welcome to the world of mountain-biking.

Thanks for all the congrats guys. I will look into those pedals that someone mentioned, above.

LOL I agree about the floor, unfortunately my basement was flooded during a heavy 3 day rain storm, so I had no choice, had to rip the floors up, they were destroyed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavven
    LOL I agree about the floor, unfortunately my basement was flooded during a heavy 3 day rain storm, so I had no choice, had to rip the floors up, they were destroyed
    Every time I complain about the weather this season, I have only to look at the news and realize how good I have it.

At least your priorities are in order: new bike before new floor

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike but it's too clean

Now get yourself a nice helmet, gloves, and camelback and hit the trails !

Congrats
    San Diego needs singletrack

Genius
    That looks like a fun bike. I wish you many enjoyable miles.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    At least your priorities are in order: new bike before new floor.
    And now he can ride his bike in the basement without feeling guilty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    And now he can ride his bike in the basement without feeling guilty.

LOL YEP! I actually have to have the entire outside of my home dug down all the way to the foundation, then it will have to be resealed and waterproofed. Total cost ranges anywhere from 10-18K... That is not happening anytime soon in this economy, saving little by little to get it done.

Still New
    Nice bike! I like! Congrats on your new purchase. Hopefully you can get your house repaired. But hey, even if your house needs work, you've got an awesome bike! Screw the house!

Hmmm. I like those tires. Not too smooth, not too knobby. What are they?

Single Speed Nation
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini9
    Nice bike! I like! Congrats on your new purchase. Hopefully you can get your house repaired. But hey, even if your house needs work, you've got an awesome bike! Screw the house!

Hmmm. I like those tires. Not too smooth, not too knobby. What are they?
    Pretty easy to see from they pictures that they're Bontrager XR2's.

Single Speed Nation
    Nice bike, btw. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    5 to 10 lbs? There's no way.
    Ya thats impossible. I went to my lbs to try it out, and all I can say is that if this is going to be one of your first 'real' bikes, you will be really happy with the weight. I picked it up by the frame with my thumb and index finger...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    just bought the same bike, love it so far!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have same bike! you gotta swap them tires and pedals both are just dangerous. I'll post pictures when I get home. You have to wear your brakes in little by little, they will squeak. Consider getting some cone wrenches to tighten the hubs cause mine seem to get loose pretty quick.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    sharp looking bike!

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Smile

Congrats Same bike
    Just Bought My 1st Bike (2011 Gary Fisher Wahoo)-smallimg_9724.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    wow thats a beautiful bike Inferno,
    does it feel solid? and how is the fork?

mtbr member
    I really like the color scheme on that bike! Everytime I see pics of it I tell myselft that is a good looking bike and that I should get one.
    A father carries pictures where his money used to be. ~Author Unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast