1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Just Bought First "Real" Hardtail

Hello everyone!
    Just got what I consider to be my first real hardtail. It is a black and white Trek 6500 Disc. Got it for $962.99 after tax. [$899 before]. This is an upgrade from a 2002 Trek Capa RST [~$300 bike].

Sorry it's not the best image, still trying to find ways to live without a kickstand. The only thing that I have a question about, is at low speeds [when rolling the bike] I hear a slight metallic squeal. Faint and quiet but still there. The sound reminds me of when braking heavily [brake pads are still being seated so it squeaks loudly on the stops. Any ideas of what this might be and what I should do? Also, any overall maintenance or just break in techniques the more experienced riders may want to share?
    Thanks!

There's no app for this.

brakes and squeal...

I suggest you break them in: find a steep hill, do about 15+ panic stops from at least 20mph, that should bed them in.

to make sure they aren't dragging, do a visual, that can cause squealing. Read the disc brake FAQ in the Brakes forum, upper right corner, it'll tell you what to expect and how to troubleshoot.

Since it's new, I believe your LBS will likely do the brake adjustments needed for free; that oughta get you started.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, it's probably your breaks. As your rolling, squeeze gently on each brake lever, that will let you know which wheel is dragging. Stop the bike and watch the disc carefully as you squeeze the lever, and you'll probably see the caliper pulling the disc to one side or the other.

I'm going through the same thing with my new bike... but the little bit of extra noise you get with discs is far outweighed by the stopping power!

-james

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice, I have the same bike but silver. Unfortunately mines in pieces since my fork starting leaking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fourcam281
    Nice, I have the same bike but silver. Unfortunately mines in pieces since my fork starting leaking.
    I also have a 6500 in pieces! But it's a 2000 model with v-brakes. I've ordered a Nashbar rigid fork for it - gonna be a road machine now.

-james
    [SIZE="1"]2000 Trek 6500 HT
    2008 Ibex Asta Comp X7 FS[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Appears to be the rear brake. I checked to see which wheel was causing it by spinning the wheel very slowly. Only made the noise in one tiny area of the total rotation. I tried to see if I could see if the rotor was rubbing on the brake but honestly I can't figure out a way to hold it and look as the brake is in an odd spot in the rear.

And just checking that the brakes should make loud squeaking when stopping until broken in.

Thank you for your help and advice!

I like bacon... (clyde)
    I just got that same exact bike a few weeks ago. It is also my first "legit" hardtail mtb.

I'm so excited to ride it that I've been a little too risky in my beginner phase and have OTB'd a few times, but it has held up well under my 220 lbs of bike-smashing weight.

Anyway, I had the shock pumped up to the right psi for me and worked on the brakes a little and its been working very well for me. The tires are crap, so they will be replaced soon. If you want more grab out of your brakes, search for my post on M485's. Theres a good chance that you have a caliper misaligned to a rotor causing that scraping noise. Use playing cards to line up your caliper/pads.