1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

just bought first bike.

i just bought an iron horse warrior 1.3 from ***** sporting goods. its my first bike, and i have noticed a few things that seem wrong. it has disc brakes (i think thats what they are called), and the pads rub against the discs on both tires, not hard enough to slow the bike, but still, i took it back and the manager said that those types of brakes rub. is this true? thanks!

mtbr member
    "i took it back and the manager said that those types of brakes rub" OMG

Take it to a bike shop and have them look at it. I have a soft spot in my heart of Dick's Sporting Goods (they originated in my hometown), but when it comes to proper bike advice, you're not going to get very good answers there.

A proper bike shop can adjust your calipers (the things the cable goes into that squeezes the rotor) so they don't rub. While you have your bike in for the brake issue, have them give it a good once-over to make sure everything else is on point.

Other than that, enjoy riding. And no, there is no part on the bicycle that is "supposed to" rub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    god, i seriously knew it. why would this retard tell me that, and i still made them fix it, but now about 5 hours later and a few miles, they are rubbing again. i bought a warranty thing that makes ***** have to fix stuff like that for free. should i just suck it up and go pay to get it fixed at a real shop?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    and for the originating in your hometown, ***** originated in my hometown too. you must be from binghamton new york, as am i. very interesting

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Perfect time to start reading and learn how to adjust em yourself and try learning a few other things too. I belieev the bike has the Hayes MX4 discs, here is the service manual. Not a bad bike, I got my IH Maverick from Dick's too but the techs there were idiots. I would have bought a bike from the LBS but they were a holes. Cant win for losing so you might as well learn to turn a wrench on a bike yourself. Its a lot nicer on the trails being able to fix things anyway, especially those annoying adjustment issues.

Never worng!
    Iron Horse bikes are very good bikes.
    Most of the components are low-end so they can sell the bikes cheap.
    From past experience - entry level Hayes brakes are junk. They never stay adjusted
    and you'll be messing with them until you finally get fed up and replace them.

Like MrMook said above, nothing should rub.
    Rather than spend money at a good bike shop getting them set up
    you'd be better off buying Avid BB7 brakes and installing them yourself.
    They sell for under $100 are super easy to install and trouble-free.

You should go back to Dick's and get a refund for the warranty service.
    Use that money to buy the Avid brakes.

mtbr member
    Ha, I am from Binghamton. I live in Vermont, currently. Small world.
    Those brakes can be adjusted, but if your rotor is bent, or there's some other alignment issue, the techs at Dick's may not catch it right away. If you're still in the Binghamton area, try the guys down by the Arena....can't remember that shops name, but they seemed friendly enough. I bought my bike from Ted's shop in Endicott years ago, but Babcock bought his place when he retired, and they're quite capable as well.