1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Just bought this Cannondale on eBay. Your thoughts?

I have been looking to upgrade to a full-suspension trail bike for a little while and found this custom build Cannondale RZ One Twenty One on eBay. I didn't really think my low bid would win but it did at $1125 + 65 Shipping. The build seems to me and my brother (who is a much more experienced rider) to be a great deal. But I thought I'd head to MTBR to get all your thoughts. Is there anything in regards to the set-up that should concern me?

Being that this is the first time I've purchased a used online bike, I would appreciate any advice in regards to the build set-up, parts that may need immediate servicing, or just anything that a novice like myself would need to know before attempting to shred on my new bike.

Link to ended listing: Cannondale Rize 120 Large | eBay

Just bought this Cannondale on eBay. Your thoughts?-cannondale.jpg

You're bidding on a lightly used Cannondale RZ120. Most parts on the bike were used for only a few rides with the exception of the cranks which have a significant amount of the logos worn off. See below for each items specific condition.

Frame: Cannondale RZ120 Aluminum (Frame used less than 1 season. Has heel rub on chainstays.)
    Grips: Ergon GP1L
    Handlebars: Salsa Pro Moto Aluminum 17degree bend 700mm width +/- 31.8mm clamp
    Shifters: Shimano XT M760 9 speed
    Brake Levers: Shimano XT BL-M756
    Brake Calipers: Shimano XT BL-M785 ICE Tech rotors and pads (New)
    Stem: Thomson X2 10x110x31.8
    Hesadset: Tange Reducer headset for Cannondale headtube to 1-1/8" steerer (New)
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Ti rails, Leather Cover
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece (New)
    Fork: Rock Shox Reba Team U-Turn with Maxle 20mm Thru Axle Ridden 3 times
    Rear Shock: Fox RP23 with Enduro RWC Needle Bearing Eyelets upgrade (New)
    Front Wheel: Stans ZTR Arch Rim Laced to Industry9 hub w/20mm thru axle
    Rear Wheel: Stans Flow Rim Laced to stans 3.30 Hub (New)
    Crankset: FSA Afterburner BB30 (New bearings) 24/32/42 rings (New) (Logos worn from crankarms)
    Front Derailleur: XTR M960
    Rear Derailleur: XT M773 Shadow
    Shift Cables & Housing: GORE Professional completely sealed front to back (New)
    Cassette: Shimano XT M760
    Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 26x2.25 Tubeless (Both F & R are new)
    Last edited by Jeremy1983; 03-27-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    If it fits and it's in good shape it was probably a good deal. Of course, that doesn't matter because you've already purchased it. Hope it works out!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah, I probably should have created this thread before I bid, but I didn't actually think I'd win. I've test-ridden a few Cannondales at my LBS, so at least I know the Large size fits me. I'm 6 foot, 170 ish.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    Yeah, I probably should have created this thread before I bid, but I didn't actually think I'd win. I've test-ridden a few Cannondales at my LBS, so at least I know the Large size fits me. I'm 6 foot, 170 ish.
    Size should be fine. "Worth" is highly dependent on condition, but I can't imagine you've done too poorly. All that matters is that you like it and that you ride it. So get riding and report back.

Warrior's Society

Yup.....said it before, and will say it again.......you need to ask these kinda questions BEFORE you buy something. Now that you already bought it....doesn't matter what we all think, its not gonna make you change your decision on whether to buy or not.

Will make it simple.....it is either a great deal, piece of junk, badass bike, or you paid too much for an average bike.
    Last edited by mtnbikej; 03-27-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Obviously I'm not looking for advice on whether or not I should buy the bike. Unfortunately I didn't create that thread in time. Nor am I looking for condemnation or reassurance about my purchase. What's done is done. I'm just pumped get off my Diamondback hardtail.

Being that this is the first time I've purchased a used online bike, I would appreciate any advice in regards to the build set-up, parts that may need immediate servicing, or just anything that a novice like myself would need to know before attempting to shred on my new bike.

Picture Unrelated
    Oh, well you didn't ask that in your initial post so that's why people are being unhelpful.

How much skill do you have in working on bikes? Can you adjust derailleurs and brakes? There isn't a whole lot of things that you'll need to be aware of but some of them can be a little daunting if you're not good at working on bikes.

- Check every nut and bolt. Seriously; all of them. From the quick releases to the water bottle bolts, if it can be turned, check it. If you don't know how, take it to someone who does.

- Adjust the shifting. I'm going to say that it's likely that you'll need new shifter cables and housing so you might want to plan on it. Maybe you don't, but no bike has ever gotten worse because of new cables and housing. Also, cables and housing should always be replaced as a pair unless you have a really good reason not to. The front shifter is likely not to need anything, so play it as it comes.

- Adjust the brakes. How are those brake pads? Do you know anything about the brakes? Time to learn! Looks like Shimano hydraulics, don't pull the brake lever without the front wheel or a brake block installed.

- Adjust the suspension for you. You'll need a shock pump. For that matter, do you have a floor pump for the tires? Get one of each.

Any other problems? Post them up and let's see if we can solve them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for that helpful reply zebrahum. I edited the original post. I'm not very experienced with tuning bikes, but I do enjoy the tinkering when I encounter an issue, and would like to become more proficient as I go. On my current ride, I've managed to adjust both derailleurs and brakes calipers, trued a wheel (kind-of), and replaced the chain.

As far as the shifting cables and housing, the seller claims "GORE Professional completely sealed front to back (New)" If the cables look new and the shifting seems crisp, should I be good to go?

I know literally nothing about checking brake pads (what should I look for?) or adjusting suspension via a shock pump. Time to start researching. I do have a floor pump.

double check to make sure all the stuff listed as new really is in new condition. Some people lie on ebay and saying that most of the wear items on a bike are new is a good way to get attention to your listing. Double check them anyway. If they're new, you're in pretty good shape. Check the rest of the drivetrain for wear while you're at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I also have a RZ 120, but a 2011. Years past the 2 and 1 models came with a lefty. One thing to watch for on these bikes is the rear suspension bearings. I had one go bad in less than a year and bolts were constantly coming loose until I took them all out and used correct thread locking compound on them.

Take a read through this thread for replacement bearing options. My Rize seatstay and main pivot bearings

Picture Unrelated
    Thanks for that helpful reply zebrahum. I edited the original post. I'm not very experienced with tuning bikes, but I do enjoy the tinkering when I encounter an issue, and would like to become more proficient as I go. On my current ride, I've managed to adjust both derailleurs and brakes calipers, trued a wheel (kind-of), and replaced the chain.

As far as the shifting cables and housing, the seller claims "GORE Professional completely sealed front to back (New)" If the cables look new and the shifting seems crisp, should I be good to go?

I know literally nothing about checking brake pads (what should I look for?) or adjusting suspension via a shock pump. Time to start researching. I do have a floor pump.
    Well, tinkering is a great start. Between Park Tools' website and youtube you should be able to figure out almost anything.

As for the Gore cables, they're sealed pretty well but even they get old. I'll revise to suggest you see how they are and then change them if needed.

I find the best way to assess brake pads is to get a new set and compare. Replace before you run out... I guess.

mtbr member
    Thats a great deal, I dont know why people feel the need to crap on it. Good bike, great price, and its still basically new. You'd pay double-plus buying new and you'd get the same thing. Good find! Dont sweat it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    umm, that's an awesome deal as long as it's in good shape. Any significant problems, google ebay snad. It comes with very nice components. Thomson masterpiece post, ti silverado saddle, stan's wheelset.. Definitely got your money's worth. You couldn't really change a think to make it better performing, maybe minor tweaks for fit.

this is a simlar bike but with quite a bit lesser components.
    European Version Cannondale RZ 120 | eBay

the bike is $2200 msrp new with quite significant lower end components.

These parts are almost too good to be true, I would take the thomson's masterpiece post off, and weigh the saddle. make sure the silverado weighs what a Ti railed silverado should. Also, google knockoff thomson to make sure you have an authentic post. Anything out of place, push for discounts from the seller or threaten to snad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I'm glad to hear some of you think the bike is a great build for the price. I looked up ALL the components before bidding and was impressed with all the upgrades. I thought the bike would end up selling around $1400-$1500, so I'm thrilled with the value. Assuming of course that the bike arrives in advertised condition.

Anyway, forgive me but what is snad?
    Last edited by Jeremy1983; 03-27-2013 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Looks to me like you did very well on this purchase. Someone lost a fair amount of $$ on that bike over a 2-year period.

Congrats!

AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just a quick update: I received the bike in advertised condition. All the parts are in working order. I absolutely LOVE it so far! There's not one thing I'd change/upgrade at the moment. It's only 28.6 pounds with the pedals which a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the help.

Just bought this Cannondale on eBay. Your thoughts?-img_0776.jpg

Competent User
    Looks like a big win. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah that's a nice find, congrats!!

mtbr member

Just bought this Cannondale on eBay. Your thoughts?

Nice find. Congrats
    Last edited by jrogs; 04-23-2013 at 05:51 AM.