Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is it just another case of more is better? TPI

735 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spencer the kalmyk 
#1 ·
Currentely I have Panaracer XC Fire made in Japan 127tpi on my bike!! I do know that TPI means threads per inch but what is the difference if you have only 60tpi in a tire? Performance? Feel? Strength? Life extension? What is the big deal? I'm looking into WTB Moto Raptors which only have 60tpi but get great reviews? 60tpi or 127tpi? Moto Raptors or stay with Panaracer?

#4 ·
General Differences

Most riders probably cannot tell the difference between a 120ish TPI tire and a 60ish TPI tire. With a higher thread count, a tire will usually be more supple because less rubber is needed in the casing for strength. So they often will have thinner sidewalls which allow them to "flex" more to conform to the terrain (and usually mean their lighter as well). TPI is often associated with quality of a tire, which is not always the case. It is true that most "cheap" tires have very low thread counts (usually 30 TPI or less) but so do high end Freeride and Downhill tires because a stiffer sidewall will prevent pinch flats at low pressure. Many companies make top quality tires in the 60 TPI range which seems to be a good balance of ride quality and durability...in addition to pinch flat resistance.

As far as the difference between the two Panaracer Fire tires...well the "Japan" version will certainly be lighter and more supple, but also be more susceptible to sidewall tears and knobs ripping off. The 60 TPI version of this tire will be heavier, but will probably last longer.

If your racing, the "Japan" version is the best choice (also if your a "weight weenie"). If your just trail riding and looking for a nice durable tire...same some $$$ and get the cheaper version.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.