1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: just another ?

spec4life???..smh...

just another ?

I just got an 08 hardrock and for some reason it feels like i am sitting to straight up. It is a 15" bike and in about 5' 8".
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how stretched out you should be when riding. I mean i know its not like a road bike where you are laying down but i just feel as is i and settimg straight up.
    Also I was wondering if a straight handle bar might fix it 38mm rise 8 degree back and 6 up which seems awful curved to me.
    I realy have no clue on this topic any suggestions would be helpful.

mtbr member
    The shop you bought it from will (or SHOULD) help you adjust the bike to your liking. Many shops will also trade you parts right there in the store.

In the meantime, without seeing you on the bike, or knowing much about your components, my first question is: Is your seat high enough? You may also want to flip your stem, or play with the spacers beneath your stem (slide the stem down and put the spacers on top).

But check with your shop first. If they're worth their salt, they'll help get you fitted and on your way.

Did you try a 17 inch size for that bike? Seems more appropriate for someone 5'8" but YMMV. You should work with your bike shop if possible in case you need a different seatpost or stem to make the bike fit you better (if you want to be more stretched out, hard to say what you need over the internet with so little to go on). Does your seatpost have any setback and what stem length and rise do you have? A more stretched out position is more of an xc racing style position with an emphasis on climbing, more upright for lack of better description is more suited for more all-around riding.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

spec4life???..smh...
    yeah I tried the 17 but it was just to big. The bike good when going down hill, maybe because im standing, but when i am climbing it seems like skrunched up.

The stem is 25.4mm with 10 degree rise.

Actully me seat is completly back. This issue was adressed as I was buying it and the lbs suggested a longer piece that connects the stem to the handlebar, feel stupid for not knowing its name, if sliding the seat back didt do the trick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have an 08 Rockhopper as well, and I don't really like the riser bar and stem that came stock on it. Fitting for it was difficult because I had just injured my shoulder badly and wasn't able to get a good feel with a limited range of motion. Now that I've begun to heal I wish I had a longer stem with a flat bar.

They come stock with a 31.8 mm stem with a 7 degree rise. The handlebars have another 31.8 mm rise and are swept 8 degrees up and back. The seatpost is straight. My 17" frame has a standover height of about 30 inches. I'm 5'10" and felt much more comfortable on the 17 vs. 19.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Like Mook said, make sure your seat is the right height. Also make sure your seat is in the correct fore and aft position. Sliding it back will stretch you out a bit. Once the seat is correct your bars (grips) should be anywhere from even height with seat to a few inches below the seat, depending on your preference. If the bars are too high you can remove spacers from below your stem or get a different handlebar or stem with 0 rise.

Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    yeah I tried the 17 but it was just to big. The bike good when going down hill, maybe because im standing, but when i am climbing it seems like skrunched up.

The stem is 25.4mm with 10 degree rise.

Actully me seat is completly back. This issue was adressed as I was buying it and the lbs suggested a longer piece that connects the stem to the handlebar, feel stupid for not knowing its name, if sliding the seat back didt do the trick.
    The stem (the part that connects the steerer tube of your fork to your handlebar) may have a handlebar clamp of 25.4 mm, but how long is it? Sounds like this has already been discussed at the lbs.

If you're all the way back on the rails with the saddle, then you might want to think about a seatpost with some set back (lay back is another term). Like others have mentioned, proper saddle height is important, too (while seated you should have your legs almost fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique