1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Joe blow ace vs mountain pumps

Hi anyone knows if the joe blow ace with his two barrel push more air in per stroke than the specific mountain pumps like
    Lezyne dirt
    Joe blow mountain - 44.4mm barrel
    Sks aircon 6.0
    Specialized airtool mtb floor pump claim 508cc barrel

Don't know the size of barrel of the other pumps anyone have them that can measure the cilinder/barrel.

Looking to buy my 1st presta floor pump, I have read people have use them to seat some tubeless tires.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Lezyne Dirt drive CNC:

Bore: 1.463" 37mm
    Stroke: 20.75" 525mm

565cc

The shaft is about 3/4" of an inch dia. Very solid, no flexing, and easy to pump. Great pump.

I use it to seat tubeless tires all the time. I have done it without removing the valve core.

The CNC model is pricey. I got it on sale for not that much more than the Alloy model. I'm sure any of their dirt drive pumps function similarly.

EDR

Re: Joe blow ace vs mountain pumps

My JB Mountain comes Monday. The ace looks interesting if you also have road bike tires to air up. For ~30psi MTB tires though I'd pass. That ace has a 260psi guage on it. Likely to be quite innacurrate at low pressures....and little definition between the psi hash marks.

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question in any way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i am also very interested on the JB Ace for the dual barrel but no info on how many cc or size of barrel it have.

So it look like the JB mountain have the biggest diameter at 44.4
    Follow by Lezyne dirt 37mm with
    Possible specialized at 508cc

I read good stuff about SKS warranty/customer service no size either.

Thanks for the spec Dennis

EDR

I almost bought a lyzene dirt pump but some folks complain about the included head. Some have replaced it with the Topeka smart head. With that being said and looking at the cost I went ahead and got the Joe blow mountain pump on sale and also ordered a smart head for it. I've heard the Joe Blow mountain can inflate a normal mountain bike tire in 4 to 5 pumps. That's really what I need as I have no road bikes. The only problem I saw with the Joe Blow mountain is that it comes with a twin head. That thing just looks too big and bulky for use on my kids bikes where there's not much room in the spokes. That's why I ordered the smart head.

I'd also be concerned about long-term performance of the ace. It uses different valving depending on the pressure. Pumps seen finicky enough as it is and that just involves several more pieces to break.

It's a very cool idea in theory, it just seems like a little too much going on in there if you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    My JB Mountain comes Monday. The ace looks interesting if you also have road bike tires to air up. For ~30psi MTB tires though I'd pass. That ace has a 260psi guage on it. Likely to be quite innacurrate at low pressures....and little definition between the psi hash marks.

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question in any way.
    I thought that you still use another gauge after you pump some air as most of the pumps come with inaccurate ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I almost bought a lyzene dirt pump but some folks complain about the included head. Some have replaced it with the Topeka smart head. With that being said and looking at the cost I went ahead and got the Joe blow mountain pump on sale and also ordered a smart head for it. I've heard the Joe Blow mountain can inflate a normal mountain bike tire in 4 to 5 pumps. That's really what I need as I have no road bikes. The only problem I saw with the Joe Blow mountain is that it comes with a twin head. That thing just looks too big and bulky for use on my kids bikes where there's not much room in the spokes. That's why I ordered the smart head.

I'd also be concerned about long-term performance of the ace. It uses different valving depending on the pressure. Pumps seen finicky enough as it is and that just involves several more pieces to break.

It's a very cool idea in theory, it just seems like a little too much going on in there if you know what I mean.
    So the only problem with the JB mountain is that the head is bulky. If that the case I don't think it be a issue for me at 1st I thought you have to change it cause it weak/break.

BTW which one you order: 1st or 2nd link
    TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - SmartHead? ThreadLock Upgrade Kit
    TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - SmartHead Replacement Kit for JB Pro/Turbo (TRK-JB02)
    Any other benefits or just size

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Lezyne takes 21 strokes to get 110psi....not too shabby.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    So the only problem with the JB mountain is that the head is bulky. If that the case I don't think it be a issue for me at 1st I thought you have to change it cause it weak/break.

Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - SmartHead? ThreadLock Upgrade Kit
    Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - SmartHead Replacement Kit for JB Pro/Turbo (TRK-JB02)
    I have been using Topeak floor pumps for years. The twinhead works well, better than most. I do not consider it bulky at all.

If you do not need pressures higher than about 70psi, the Joe Blow Mountain is the one you want.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

EDR

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - SmartHead? ThreadLock Upgrade Kit
    TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - SmartHead Replacement Kit for JB Pro/Turbo (TRK-JB02)
    I ordered the 1 from the second link. I only ordered it because the other 1 look really big and bulky . From what shiggy says it's not that big. When I get the pump if I like the twinhead I can always just return the smart head to jenson. Although that kind of screws up my free shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the Joe Blow too. It works. I didn't like the twin head, specifically the little yellow lever i thought was going to break and it was a biotch to use until i got used to it...other than that it is good pump.

EDR

I thought that you still use another gauge after you pump some air as most of the pumps come with inaccurate ones.
    Honestly, I've just been going by feel for years. When my current pump reads around 20 p s I and I check it with a secondary gauge I find it's really around 30 p_s_i so I never trust it. But I don't bother to double check with another gauge, I just use the thumb method haha.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    I have a Lezyne Floor drive (SHOULD have bought the dirt drive,) and a JB Mountain. 100% with Shiggy--@30PSI and high volume I think the JB mountain is your best bet.

The Lezyne pump's head IS extremely finicky. Sometimes you need to unthread a presta nut fully, sometimes just a bit works. It may not work if the shaft is bent even just a little bit.

FWIW, I have two Lezyne gauges as well--they are about ten PSI off from each other when a tire is around 30PSI. (Is it 25 or 35? I have no idea!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I have a Lezyne Floor drive (SHOULD have bought the dirt drive,) and a JB Mountain. 100% with Shiggy--@30PSI and high volume I think the JB mountain is your best bet.

The Lezyne pump's head IS extremely finicky. Sometimes you need to unthread a presta nut fully, sometimes just a bit works. It may not work if the shaft is bent even just a little bit.

FWIW, I have two Lezyne gauges as well--they are about ten PSI off from each other when a tire is around 30PSI. (Is it 25 or 35? I have no idea!)
    I dislike any thread-on pump head.

Gauge differences are why I usually use a separate digital gauge, though I have generally been lucky and have had pumps with consistent readings.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I send a email to topeak asking which one give more air per stroke the Ace or Mountain model, they told me that the Mountain give you more.

It look like I be ordering that bad boy. After all I don't have a road bike yet.

Shiggy does the box or instructions say how many cc the mountain have?

EDR

Holy crap! I just looked up the Joe Blow ace on Amazon and it's $120! I just bought my Joe blow Mountain pump for $32. I think that pretty much settles this case, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yep the ace is more $$.
    Did you received the JB mountain yet how it works. Deflate the tires to test it out :-)
    Should be ordering mine this week.

EDR
    Yep the ace is more $$.
    Did you received the JB mountain yet how it works. Deflate the tires to test it out :-)
    Should be ordering mine this week.
    I'm at work and it will be at my house by the time I get home. I'll check it out tonight for sure. I'm not expecting some "miracle'' pump, I just want it to inflate quickly and have a fairly accurate gauge. Unfortunately I don't have any gauges that I really trust. I've got a couple analog car tire gauges. I'll use two of those for a comparison test to the pump reading.

I'm at work and it will be at my house by the time I get home. I'll check it out tonight for sure. I'm not expecting some "miracle'' pump, I just want it to inflate quickly and have a fairly accurate gauge. Unfortunately I don't have any gauges that I really trust. I've got a couple analog car tire gauges. I'll use two of those for a comparison test to the pump reading.
    My JBMt works VERY well, and the gauge is fairly accurate. But it is more important for the gauge to be consistent (mine is) and then use it to set your relative pressure, regardless if the reading is correct or not.
    mtbtires.com

I send a email to topeak asking which one give more air per stroke the Ace or Mountain model, they told me that the Mountain give you more.

It look like I be ordering that bad boy. After all I don't have a road bike yet.

Shiggy does the box or instructions say how many cc the mountain have?
    Don't know. Don't care. It is more than enough.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ordered the JB mountain should be here Friday.
    I feel happy slowly I'm buying more and more stuff for my bike.

Was thinking of a work stand but they are expensive.
    But is on my list.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Well, after thinking about this thread, I checked them again, I think the 'clutch' on the newer of the two gauges must have been sticky, they're actually pretty close now--and real close to either pump.

I'd put a stand near the top of the list, at least once you have basic drivetrain and brake tools, (if necessary.) I wish I would have bought my PRS-03 years before I did... but it took me a while to save my pennies.

EDR
    Impressions:

It's not epic, not a game changer, hardly gnar gnar nor is it buff. However, it does pump air into my tires quicker than my old pump. For that I'm grateful

-pump cylinder is huge
    -handle is comfy and seems sturdy enough
    -gauge is on bottom, no biggie unless your eyes are getting bad like mine
    -as expected it gets a little firm to push at around 30psi
    -about 8-10 strokes to fill my completely deflated 2.3 ust Purgatory to ~30psi.
    -twin head looks bulky however in reality it is no wider/longer from end to end than the smart head I ordered to replace it
    -the yellow lever on the twin head is sub-standard imo. It's plastic and feels like it will break if I'm not wary of it each time I'm going to use it. This is my one real 'con' for this pump
    -twin head has a pressure release button - I like this but don't really know if it will be needed in reality. Time will tell.
    -the smart head is very nice. The lever is metal and it makes a definitive "snap" sound when you move it's position open/close. I think I might use it in lue of the twin head even if it doesn't save space when used on tiny wheels. it just feels well built.
    -smart head does NOT have a pressure release button

At just over 30 bucks (not including the smart head) it's a great buy for me. Now I can retire my 10 year old a Aireon pump that really hasn't worked very well for years now.

Impressions:

It's not epic, not a game changer, hardly gnar gnar nor is it buff. However, it does pump air into my tires quicker than my old pump. For that I'm grateful
    That is the whole point. More volume, quicker. I have two pumps. This one and the JB Sport, plus a compressor. The only time I do not use the JBMt is when I need more than ~70psi.

-the yellow lever on the twin head is sub-standard imo. It's plastic and feels like it will break if I'm not wary of it each time I'm going to use it. This is my one real 'con' for this pump
    Total non-issue. I have had my pump for two years and never noticed what the lever material is nor had any problems using it or how it feels. My JB Sport head has a metal lever and functions identically.
    mtbtires.com

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    That is the whole point. More volume, quicker. I have two pumps. This one and the JB Sport, plus a compressor. The only time I do not use the JBMt is when I need more than ~70psi.

Total non-issue. I have had my pump for two years and never noticed what the lever material is nor had any problems using it or how it feels. My JB Sport head has a metal lever and functions identically.
    Shig.... Lighten up a tad. I was poking fun (with my review) at all the people who over analyze and stress over what pump to buy. That's all. Obviously it has a high volume. That's the only reason to buy it.

The plastic lever is a non issue for you. I've read reviews from other people who have broken the lever. So...like...ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast