1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Jamis Komodo 1 or Avanti Derelikt type 2?

hey,
    i recently had my giant yukon stolen and am looking for something more like a dirt jumper for my next bike.
    I have narowed my choices down to the Jamis 2009 Komodo 1 and the Avanti Derelikt type 2. I realy dont know what bike i should go with so any advice on either one of these bikes would be great
    thanx Waza
    Last edited by waza; 04-24-2009 at 07:06 AM.

Crash Guru
    My peronal preference would be the Avanti Derelikt type 2, Based mostly on the componentry. I think you would be able to better jumping (more air, better stunts etc) with the Avanti. Plus I've heard stories of that RST on the Jamis breaking before when a friend jumped it, whereas Marzocchi make good, strong suspension. Generally i try to stay away from brands like RST and SR Suntour.

Another thing, in relation to the brakes, the Avanti has in my opinion the second best mechanical disks on the market (next to its brother the Avid BB7), whereas those Tektro's would screw up before long. Tektro and Promax make absolute rubbish when it comes to brakes, whereas Avid will keep you pretty safe.

What sort of stuff you thinking of jumping (eg. measurements - height length etc.)?
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer @msn.com
    Your no longer a virgin... and your ass hurts?
    I think you're doing something wrong there

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks alot for that help.
    youseem to know your brakes and other coponetry.
    i have been doin about 4.5 foot high dirt jumps
    i know thats not very high but im really gonna get into higher and longer jumps when i get a better bike as my giant yukon wasnt really designed to much to be thrashed.

Crash Guru
    Yeah for the type of jumping you're gonna do i definitely say the Avanti is the better choice. I can understand about the Yukon, Ive used a similar bike for jumping and it really doesn't compare to a proper jump bike.

Let us know if/when you buy it and how you get on!

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer @msn.com
    Your no longer a virgin... and your ass hurts?
    I think you're doing something wrong there