1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Jamis Exile 29, Hardrock Disc 29, or Raleigh Talus 29?

Hey guys, it another one of these! I am in the market for a lower end 29er and these are the three I am deciding between. I see a lot of (bad) reviews on the Hardrock but I still like the bike. The Jamis is a bit more money than the other two, but I really like it as well. Obviously none of them have top of the line stuff, but which one do you feel has the best value? Why or why not? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just bought the hardrock disc 29er. I'm new to mountain biking but am coming off years of racing motocross and the bike feels good. A lot of gripes are around the cheap spring fork but I've yet to outride it or see a clear reason to upgrade. I'm taller so I replaced the flat bars with risers almost immediately and the stock plastic pedals aren't very impressive. Overall good bike for a new rider.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm partial to the Jamis. I've still got a middle-ish Jamis Dakota that I paid something like $1,100 for in 2002 or so. All it doese these days is tow my kids in a trailer, but it saw 5 years or so of frequent trail riding. The only problem I ever had with it was replacing one brake.

Which one are you looking at buying? If you're looking at the Race or Comp, I'd seriously suggest checking out the Santa Cruz Highball D XC kit....

Suckin wind like a boss
    dont leave out the scott scale 29, excellent price and component level at that price point. Scale 29 Elite - SCOTT Sports
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.