1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Jamis Dakar AMT Mountain Bike 2012 for first MTB ?

Hello all,
    I am very new to MTBiking. I have not ridden in the last 10 years but I believe I will enjoy riding in the wilderness. I will be riding in the local trails in Maryland and North Carolina. Nothing aggressive as my 30 + year old back can't handle all that stress.

I read through a lot of posts and Trek Superfly 9.6 came in as a recommendation here at around 2300 $ . However, I found this bike for 1850 $ and since it's a full suspension bike I think it will be easy on my body as well. However, I don't know if the fork will be unsuitable for regular trails ( as it seems the bike is more geared towards downhill- I might be wrong)

I was about to buy it but thought of asking in the forum before pulling the trigger.

Here are the specs
    Jamis Dakar AMT Mountain Bike

Frame Kinesium alloy, 150mm travel, mp4 linkage design, cartridge bearing pivots, 1.5- 1 1/8Ē tapered head tube, asymmetrical chainstays, 12x 135mm thru axle, ISCG03 chainguide mounts, RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 high volume shock with 10mm hardware, replaceable derailleur hanger, maxle lite rear axle
    Fork RockShox Lyrik RC Solo Air, 160mm, 20mm Maxle Lite axle, Motion Control damping, External rebound, and low speed compression, tapered steerer, magnesium lower legs
    Headset FSA Orbit 1.5 zero stack internal cup, for tapered head tube, 30mm shim stack
    Wheels Sun/ Ringle Charger Expert w/ Stanís No Tubes technology, 28mm width, sealed cartridge bearing hubs w/ straight pull Wheelsmith double butted spokes
    Tires Geax Gato folding bead
    Front Derailleur Shimano SLX M661
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT M780 Shadow rear
    Shifters Shimano SLX M660 Rapidfire Plus- SL 10 speed
    Chain Shimano HG- 74
    Cassette Shimano HG81, 10 speed, 11-36
    Crankset Shimano SLX M660 Hollowtech II, 42/32/24
    Brakes Hayes Prime Expert with 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors
    Handlebar Syncros AM, 710mm
    Stem Syncros AM
    Grips Jamis lock- on, dual density
    Seatpost Syncros AM
    Saddle WTB Volt Race Cromoly rails

All comments/suggestions welcome !
    Last edited by labbike; 06-14-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added year

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What year is it?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry I should have mentioned it as 2012. I will also edit the title of the thread

mtbr member
    The AMT might be a little overkill for the riding you will be doing. All of that extra travel makes the bike heavier and a bit less efficient. Still, that would be a fun bike and you might feel more confident on something with that much suspension travel.

Other closeout deals with less travel:
    Jamis Dakar XCR 29" Sport Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA
    Fuji Outland 29 1.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA
    Fuji Outland 29 3.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA
    Diamondback Sortie 29Er 2.0 Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

make sure it is the right size though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The AMT might be a little overkill for the riding you will be doing. All of that extra travel makes the bike heavier and a bit less efficient. Still, that would be a fun bike and you might feel more confident on something with that much suspension travel.

Other closeout deals with less travel:
    Jamis Dakar XCR 29" Sport Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA
    Fuji Outland 29 1.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA
    Fuji Outland 29 3.0 Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA
    Diamondback Sortie 29Er 2.0 Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

make sure it is the right size though.
    Thanks for the input and all the links. I have decided to try out few bikes at a factory demo next month and also visit some LBS to find out what I might enjoy better. It seems each bike model is unique and suited to different riding styles and very difficult to compare based on spec alone.

mtbr member
    I actually have this exact bike, bought from Jenson two months ago. I have since put 457 miles on it.

I agree at 30lb it is a bit heavy, but it is very solid. This is my first experience with tubeless. It comes from Jenson with tubes, I just had to buy the Stans and the valves. With 26psi in the front and 29psi in the rear, I thought it would be like driving a tank---but the large tire size seems to effortlessly float over anything in its path, thanks in part to the 20mm Maxles.

The only complaint is that Jamis only warrants bikes with 5" or bigger front forks for two years---kinda skimpy considering the price.