1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

JAMIS Dakar advice, please.

I found a used 04 Jamis Dakar, 17.5 for around $400. I am around 5'7 and 160lbs. I have a few questions: 1. Is that a decent deal? 2. What should I check for when looking at the bike? 3. Does that size seem to be right for my height and weight?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    Sounds like a decent deal. That bike probably was around $800 new. The bike size should work for you, maybe a tad on the big side. I'm 6"0 ft, and I ride a 19" dakar XC. Jamis are good bikes.

It shoud be ok for your weight. Actually you are probably about the right weight for the stock suspension setup. If it's too stiff, you can always put a different springs in the shocks. But you would have to do that anyway even with a brand new bike.

As far as what to look for, look for signs of abuse. Make sure the frame doesn't have any dent's. Also see how the shock feels, you dont' want to have to spend $100+ to get shock rebuilt after getting the bike. Make sure the drivetrain is clean and shifts smoothly. Make sure there are no dents in the rims from hitting a curb too hard.

Ideally you want a lightly used bike, not one from a 17 year old who trashed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ldanny
    I found a used 04 Jamis Dakar, 17.5 for around $400. I am around 5'7 and 160lbs. I have a few questions: 1. Is that a decent deal? 2. What should I check for when looking at the bike? 3. Does that size seem to be right for my height and weight?

Thanks!

ride hard take risks
    Dang these are always the toughest questions to figure out. The bike new today retails for $825 so the way i look at it it's more of a $300-325 bike.
    The rear shock is a cheapo to hold the bike up & if the bike was ridden it is probibly worn out. The chainstay is the old style that was prone to flex alot & breaking. Jamis does have a upgraded chainstay if it was to fail & there customer service is awsome. The draw back with test riding a bike in the neighbor hood is you cant really work the bike out. Possibly it need new cables & housings, check brake pads for wear, rims true, tire wear, all cables should have a ferrel on them. If your not shure of what you see or dont see ask check with the LBS to see if they offer a per buy inspection & how much & how long.
    Jamis bike are very nice but this one will need some upgrading. If you can meet inbetween it should be a good deal if all else is ok.