1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

It's time, purchasing tomorrow....

What's up,

I have been reading forums and searching the web for too long and I'm using a day off tomorrow to heat up some plastic in my wallet.

I love the cannondale 29er sl2. I understand there are other options in that price range, but I found a good deal on last year model and I want it. BUT, yesterday I found a great, lightly used 2008 Cannondale Rush 5 for $725!

Do I stick with the new cannondale or is that rush FS a far superior bike?

I will be riding about 20 on and 80 percent off road. Trail rides of intermediate level until my skill level catches up.

I appreciate the input.

Cheers!

T.W.O.
    Get a Rush! I love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If it fits, I will grab it. If your wrong, ill sell it to you for 800.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    please let us know how you like it...

Rides like a kid
    Well, what did you get?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I did! Currently away for work, will post pictures soon. It was working great until I took everything apart to see how it works in case I broke something on the trail.

Don't think this is the right threat to ask, but I replaced the front axel due to stripped threats and had the bike upside down for a day or so. The front brake, hydraulic shimano 485's I think, are now weak! Can pull brake lever all way without locking up wheel. Oops.

Love my bike though.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by TravDK View Post
    I did! Currently away for work, will post pictures soon. It was working great until I took everything apart to see how it works in case I broke something on the trail.

Don't think this is the right threat to ask, but I replaced the front axel due to stripped threats and had the bike upside down for a day or so. The front brake, hydraulic shimano 485's I think, are now weak! Can pull brake lever all way without locking up wheel. Oops.

Love my bike though.
    That's a good thing so I don't have to buy it from you for $800

Yeah you brake, if there's air in the line flipping it up side down would get it down to the caliper faster, the good news is Shimano is pretty easy to bleed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    $800? That was before the blood sweat and tears my man. $1200 and I may let her go.