1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Bikecurious
    Aug 2007

Its log, its log, its big, its heavy, its wood.....

And sometimes its a little too big to get over. I can clear most logs as long as my chainring can clear them, but how to you get over the bigger logs? What are some of your tricks/tips? Thanks.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by g-bus
    And sometimes its a little too big to get over. I can clear most logs as long as my chainring can clear them, but how to you get over the bigger logs? What are some of your tricks/tips? Thanks.
    pop off them instead of rolling them...

mbtr member
    1) install bashring
    2)level out cranks
    3) pop front wheel over log
    4)smash bashring into log
    5)lean forward and crank
    6)?????
    7)profit.

You can get over any size log so long as you catch the log between your bashring and crank arm and have enough speed to tip forward over it. If you don't have a bashring, be sure to be in the large chainring.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    if you don't like your bike, you can dig a couple teeth from your big chainring into the log and pedal through it. you will bend a tooth or several, eventually. good way to rationalize buying better gear: "honey, it's broken, i need this raceface crank and bash guard!"

Flying Goat
    Pop off the log... Your chain rings wont even tough it...

Alex popping off the log

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    good ren and stimpy reference btw.

mtbr member
    I'd like to see that video take place in the real world. i.e. a wet, ROUND, moss or mud covered, off camber, at an angle to the trail, log. Where when you set the front tire on it, it slides out from under the bike and you take a dirt/log sample.
    2008 Heckler

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc
    I'd like to see that video take place in the real world. i.e. a wet, ROUND, moss or mud covered, off camber, at an angle to the trail, log. Where when you set the front tire on it, it slides out from under the bike and you take a dirt/log sample.
    That's how I jump 'em (adk sports vid). Works for rocks, benches, ROUND logs, off camber logs, etc. Of course, there are exceptions where this isn't always the best technique.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    well you can bump your front wheel over the log and then grab some front brake so you endo alittle and then let go and you should be able to kinda hump your way over the log, (without catching your big ring in the log) i do that when i dont pop off of them

tlg
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc
    It does work in the real world. The real world isn't always wet, mossy, muddy, and off camber. That being said, sure when you've got a wet, mossy, muddy, off camber log it's tricky if not down right dangerous. But in those conditions, any method of going over a log will be sketchy.

The main disadvantage of this technique is you need momentum. It always seems that when I come to a log, it's right after a sharp blind corner where I don't see it, right before a corner where I need to slow down, or on a climb where you just don't have the momentum.
    It's best used when you've got momentum, rather than slowing down and using a chainring/bashring grind.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I know this isn't an option for the mt dew swilling xtreme guys but you could always walk the bike over the obstacle if need be. works well for me.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, got some good ideas here, but what works best on a climb? When you're on a slow climb and can't build enough speed to pop off of it or hop it? I've also found the technique of dismounting and carrying my bike over the obstacle to be quite effective, but I thought I'd look into some alternative methods.

tlg
    Thanks, got some good ideas here, but what works best on a climb? When you're on a slow climb and can't build enough speed to pop off of it or hop it?
    Pop the front wheel over the log, dig your chainring into the log, and pedal over. The trick is being in the right gear. Too easy, and when your back tire hits the log, it'll spin out on you. Too hard and you won't have the momentum to get over. Also you have to time your pedal stroke right so that the down stroke doesn't hit the log.

Nervous Descender
    Thanks, got some good ideas here, but what works best on a climb? When you're on a slow climb and can't build enough speed to pop off of it or hop it? I've also found the technique of dismounting and carrying my bike over the obstacle to be quite effective, but I thought I'd look into some alternative methods.
    Uphill- you need to learn to lunge the bike up and over the log, either by using the pedaling lunge or a hopping lunge, You don't need to destroy your chainring. Watch the trials guys ride up or pedal up onto an obstacle for an extreme example of this. Its mostly momentum and weight shift.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

Is that Bill rated?

Lunge

When riding uphill you can get over most logs and rocks from a dead stop with some body language. The easy part is to get your front end over, then move your body forwards and up so that as much of your weight is over the front of the bike as you are capable of. When you are in position like that simultaneously kick down and back on your pedals and pull the bar up and push it forwards. Your centre of gravity should stay in nearly the same position, but your body will lower as your bike moves up and over the obstacle. Pedal away and listen to the oohs and ahs from your riding friends.
    I would start practicing this on every lip you see, uphill or on flats, even if you would normally just pedal over them until it becomes second nature.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Scroll down and watch the teaser video. This is Lars Sternberg j-hopping a log. This is a fantastic training video, btw.

http://fluidride.com/2008/03/26/flui...e-a-pro-video/

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by frank ingram
    I know this isn't an option for the mt dew swilling xtreme guys but you could always walk the bike over the obstacle if need be. works well for me.

Here is what Chuck Norris would do.
    First he would curse at the log, then right before he hits it he lifts his front wheel and smashes it down ontop of the doomed log, sending it flying into a bazillion toothpick sized pieces.

But, I guess if it is too sketchy, walking over it is ok in most cases, if you aren't chuck.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Here is what Chuck Norris would do.
    First he would curse at the log, then right before he hits it he lifts his front wheel and smashes it down ontop of the doomed log, sending it flying into a bazillion toothpick sized pieces.

But, I guess if it is too sketchy, walking over it is ok in most cases, if you aren't chuck.
    More importantly, what would Brian Boitano do? I bet he'd kick an ass or two, that's what Brian Boitano'd do.

Flying Goat
    More importantly, what would Brian Boitano do? I bet he'd kick an ass or two, that's what Brian Boitano'd do.
    The log will move itself once they see Jack Bauer about to hit it...

Certified Porsche Tech

Cool-blue Rhythm

My 2 cents:

Sorry this thread needed more Ren and Stimpy
    Odin! Guide our ships, our axes spears and swords!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat
    Scroll down and watch the teaser video. This is Lars Sternberg j-hopping a log. This is a fantastic training video, btw.

http://fluidride.com/2008/03/26/flui...e-a-pro-video/
    Nice action and looks like a good instructional vid.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    I almost more glad that this thread is about Ren and Stimpy than it is about a log jumping technique.
    [SIZE="3"][08' Windsor Ghost 6500][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Rock Shox Dart 1 - Tektro Discs - WTB Velociraptors - Alex DP17 rims[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ride it like you stole it.[/SIZE]

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Happy happy joy joy! Btw, I managed to make it over a rather large log that had been plaguing me for some time now. Thanks for the tips.