1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

It's great to be back!!!!!

I bought my first mountain bike back in about 96 (a Diamonback Sorrento) and rode the snot out of it for about 3 years. Some career changes took me away from biking, and it became something that I wanted to get back to, but it just never happened.

I finally made the move. I did a ton of research, and immediately figured out that what I once had a handle on, has progressed beyond my ability to comprehend. I was feeling super lost.

I sucked it up and went to my local bike shop last week. I advised the sales guy that I was soooo out of the loop. He spent a hour with me and did a great job of getting me up to speed on a lot of the new technology, and advancements in mountain bikes. There was zero pressure, and he even told me what to ask if I decided to buy from a different shop. That really impressed me. He told me that he wasn't on commission, and that it was more important that I get the right bike, than where I bought it from. I really appreciated his attitude.

Well, I hit several bike shops over the weekend, did a ton of internet research, and ended up going back to the original shop, even though there prices were slightly above average. Mainly because their attitude was more focused on me, than making the purchase.

I ended up buying a Trek 6000, and had them covert the tires to tubeless (a very new advancement to me). I also bought some shorts and extras.

I picked up the bike this afternoon, and really put it to the test (within my ancient abilities) today. I was very impressed with it. Times have really changed, and I've renewed my interest in mountain biking. I felt really at home on that new bike, and the advancement in components and frame geometry has progressed light years since I was riding over ten years ago.

The true test is not killing my 40+ year old body with my 30 year old brain!

MTBR Member

post em

Get it dirty and then Lets see the pics. Also congrats on the new ride...it is a sweet bike. I tested one before I picked up my GF tassajara towards the beginning of the year. The fisher just fit me a little better. How much did the conversion to tubeless run ya? Also which rims did you pick up? Anyways, good luck with the new ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was pondering with the idea of buying the GF Pirahna, then looked at the tassajara. Man, I was so totally overwhelmed. I loved the Tassaraja, but it was about $200 more than I wanted to invest right now. I was torn between the mechnical disc brakes on the Trek 6000 and the hydralic discs on the Piranha and the Tessajara. After test riding them, I decided on the Trek bike. The Gary Fisher bikes were awesome, and they offer a lot of nice stuff for the money.

I'll post some pics when I really redevelop my trail skills, and have a chance to really wring this bike out. I'm guilty of being a little too crazy at my age, so if there is a flaw in the bike, or the rider, it will probably surface this weekend. My life and medical insurance are all paid up, so what the heck, I'm going to have some fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    sounds like you and i are on simlar planes. I too had a mid-late 90's sorrento. Mine was the SE. it was yellow.. i put thousands of miles on that baby and some career/geographic changes got me out of the mtb scene. recently, i too went shopping for a new bike and went to several shops and i too went back to the first one that i visited and guess what, I bought a trek 6000 in "murder black" as my buddy calls it (the same buddy who is now riding my db sorrento after much pain and sufferring finding parts) i am rusty, i am fat and out of shape but i am having a ton of fun. I put my panaracer fire xc tires on it, upgraded the spring in the dart with a stiffer one and added my toeclip pedals until i can afford to buy a better set of shoes for the eggbeaters. I took the plywood like saddle off and put a wtb sstx on it. added a new wireless computer and... ride the balls off the bike. gotta tame the new bull somehow right? anyway, good to have you back, we sure missed ya!!!

what color was the db and what color 6k did you get?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ended up with the "murder black" too! The old DB was, if my memory serves me right, green. In hindsight, not a bad bike for the era, but a dinosaur by today's standards. The jury is still out on my saddle. I read a lot of negative comments regarding the stock seat, but I'll have to put some more time on the bike before I think about changing it out.

I'm not brave enough to get away from platforms, just yet. I'm sure within 6 or so months, I'll make the move, but I need to work on regaining and developing my riding skills first. So I'll keep it stock until that happens, or until I destroy one of the components.

How are you liking the wireless computer? I'm researching them online as we speak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i got the nashbar one from nashbar.com. it was a cheapie, but it it pretty nice. plenty of useful features. not too expensive. $30 if I recall.

my saddle and pedals are takeoffs from the DB. I had them already.

anyhow. ride the 6k.. you'll love that.