1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Issue Shifting to from 9th to 8th Cog on 9 speed cassete

Okay I got a new slx 9 speed derauiller and deore 9 speed shifters and 9 speed sram cassette. Everything was installed and worked great and is less then a month old. For some reason I am now having some hesitation shifting from the 9th cog to the 8th cog (second smallest).

From what I remember it shifted almost instantaneously (about a quarter of a pedal rotation). Now it seems to click and hesitate a bit but still shifts but it takes almost a full pedal rotation). I cant seem to figure it out. I have tried everything. At this point I even replaced the cable housing and housing end caps and installed new cable all together and still the issue persists. I took the hanger off as well and laid it on a piece of glass its perfectly straight no bends.

All other shifting is crisp and perfect it just that one shift. The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe there is a issue with the shifter itself and its not clicking and locking far enough to put the derailleur in the correct position.

One other thing to note. Turning the barrel adjuster counter clockwise seems to have no effect at all on this particular gear shift it does not make the shift quicker which I always remember it doing before. Even if I turn it further then it should be it still the same delay in the 9th to 8th cog shift. It definitely effects all the other gears though so I know its working.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd post this in the tooltime forum, as it's pretty advanced. You already tried the things I would have suggested.

mtbr member

Re: Issue Shifting to from 9th to 8th Cog on 9 speed cassete

Is it the same regardless of which chainring you are in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you replace the cable whenyou you replaced the housing? Are the the housing ends square?SAre the cable ends in the cable stops all the way? Have the cables/housing bedded in? Is the gear bent? How old is the derailuer? Have you released the the cable pinch bolt and shifter and started over?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Did you replace the cable whenyou you replaced the housing? Are the the housing ends square?SAre the cable ends in the cable stops all the way? Have the cables/housing bedded in? Is the gear bent? How old is the derailuer? Have you released the the cable pinch bolt and shifter and started over?

I put most of these details in the post everything is about a month old. I put in brand new cables and housing to try and resolve the issue. The gear does not look bent and yes I have released the cable pinch bolt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Is it the same regardless of which chainring you are in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Yup happens no matter what gear I am in in the front 1rst , 2nd or 3rd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Okay so I noticed this as well. If push the shifter to 8th from 9th just to the point the shifter clicks, the gear hesitates before shifting. If press the shifter a bit further after the click and then release the gear seams to engage. You dont think its the shifter do you?

mtbr member
    While it could be the shifter, I doubt it. I know you said you checked the cogs on the cassette and they are not bent, but unless you measured with calipers you might not be able to see a slight bend. Do you another 9 speed cassette you can try?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    press the shifter a bit further after the click and then release the gear seams to engage.
    I've been doing this for so many years that it just comes naturally. I don't even notice it anymore. Unless you're super-anal about this type of minor stuff and it works fine once engaged, I wouldn't give it another thought.

If you absolutely must have super-crisp shifting and can afford to ditch all the new stuff you just bought and replace it once again, you might want to give SRAM stuff a try.

My little friends
    See if adjusting the "B" screw helps. I had a similar problem on the other end of the cassette, (1-2), and it drove me crazy for quite some time, because I need to perform that shift dozens, if not hundreds of times on some of my rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I've been doing this for so many years that it just comes naturally. I don't even notice it anymore. Unless you're super-anal about this type of minor stuff and it works fine once engaged, I wouldn't give it another thought.

Absolutely! ^ Once I was working on a bike and the customer was having the exact same issue as the OP. Pretty much new everything including cables and housing and I thought I had that thing dialed to perfection but the owner kept having the same issue. I finally figured out that I was pressing the trigger a fraction farther than the click (ingrained force of habit I guess) and though I had to consciously try not to do it, when I just barely made the first click it would not make the shift unless I relaxed the pedal pressure for a second.

I disagree with Sram being an improvement over Shimano though, perhaps as good but not better IMO. And this doesn't seem to be the OP's problem since he says tightening the cable does not quicken that shift.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check the derailleur hanger alignment. Mine was out and it would shift OK on some gears but not others depending on how the barrel adjustment was set.

I don't think that being out of alignment would affect only one shift, but seeing you've ruled out almost everything else, it would be worth checking.

You don't need a professional tool -- you can use a straitedge and a ruler. Remove the RD and hold the straightedge on the hanger so that one end extends past the tire. Position the valve stem under the straightedge then measure the distance from the straightedge to the rim. Rotate the tire 1/4 turn and repeat until you get four measurements.

Straighten with an adjustable wrench. The things are surprisingly soft.

mtbr member
    suggestion may seem stupid but i didn't see a mention of adjusting the stop screws on the rear derailleur. adjusting those should let the chain move over to the 9th gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I disagree with Sram being an improvement over Shimano though, perhaps as good but not better IMO. And this doesn't seem to be the OP's problem since he says tightening the cable does not quicken that shift.
    Not better overall necessarily (I run Shimano on most of my bikes personally), but different.
    The SRAM stuff does seem to crack somewhat crisper shifts, at least on the set-ups I own or have tried out. As always, YMMV - there are a lot of variables.

Jacking in the B-tension is worth a shot, and as someone else mentioned, chainline could possibly contribute also. But I think it might just be a matter of 'that's just the way it is'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Not better overall necessarily (I run Shimano on most of my bikes personally), but different.
    The SRAM stuff does seem to crack somewhat crisper shifts, at least on the set-ups I own or have tried out. As always, YMMV - there are a lot of variables.

Jacking in the B-tension is worth a shot, and as someone else mentioned, chainline could possibly contribute also. But I think it might just be a matter of 'that's just the way it is'.

Im at the point of thinking you are probably right. I think I just need to push a little further on the trigger shifter. It doesnt help that I'm kind of obsessive compulsive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Check the derailleur hanger alignment. Mine was out and it would shift OK on some gears but not others depending on how the barrel adjustment was set.

I don't think that being out of alignment would affect only one shift, but seeing you've ruled out almost everything else, it would be worth checking.

You don't need a professional tool -- you can use a straitedge and a ruler. Remove the RD and hold the straightedge on the hanger so that one end extends past the tire. Position the valve stem under the straightedge then measure the distance from the straightedge to the rim. Rotate the tire 1/4 turn and repeat until you get four measurements.

Straighten with an adjustable wrench. The things are surprisingly soft.
    Should I rotate the tire 1/4 of a turn or the straightedge each time. It seems if I just rotate the tire and the straight edge stays in the same spot I would get the same measurement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ok so took it to bike shop and asked for hanger alignment said it was almost perfect but made a very tiny adjustment. This did not solve the issue so I assume its just the way it shifts or maybe I have a bent tooth. I looked at them very closely and couldnt see any bent ones though.

He also reset cable tension and that doesn't appear to be the issue either. So its either:

1) bent tooth
    2) issue with shifter
    3) just the way it is and I need to push the shifter a little more.

mtbr member

Ok so took it to bike shop and asked for hanger alignment said it was almost perfect but made a very tiny adjustment. This did not solve the issue so I assume its just the way it shifts or maybe I have a bent tooth. I looked at them very closely and couldnt see any bent ones though.

He also reset cable tension and that doesn't appear to be the issue either. So its either:

1) bent tooth
    2) issue with shifter
    3) just the way it is and I need to push the shifter a little more.
    Why didn't you just ask them to check it out for the problem rather than giving them your solution?

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Why didn't you just ask them to check it out for the problem rather than giving them your solution?

--
    Stephen
    Because I have limited funds at the moment and he did the alignment for free. He was also busy and couldn't get to something more detailed at the time I brought it without having me leave it there and I am going on vacation and need the bike. Is that a good enough reason for you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I tried my friends trek mamba with alivio parts and his bike shifts very crisp from 9th to 8th every time without putting extra pressure on the shifter. Mine shifts crisply about 40-50%. When I get more money ill try replacing the cassette and shifter and see if either of those fixes the issue. I don't mind having some spare parts around.

mtbr member
    Because I have limited funds at the moment and he did the alignment for free. He was also busy and couldn't get to something more detailed at the time I brought it without having me leave it there and I am going on vacation and need the bike. Is that a good enough reason for you?

they probably could have found the problem in the same amount of time it took to look at the hanger. A lot of shops that I've been to will diagnose the problem for free or really cheap. It's when you want them to fix it or replace parts that they start charging.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I realize it is moot for the moment, but for future reference...
    Should I rotate the tire 1/4 of a turn or the straightedge each time.
    Yes, you are correct. You want to rotate the valve stem 1/4 turn, rotate the straightedge too, then measure to the stem again.

It seems if I just rotate the tire and the straight edge stays in the same spot I would get the same measurement.
    If the wheel is true, you are correct, you would get the same measurement.

The reason that you rotate the straightedge AND the wheel is that if the wheel is out-of-true, it won't affect the derailleur alignment measurements.

Anyway, you could replace just one item instead of getting a shifter and cassette. My bet is that it is the shifter. Those little cogs are pretty tough and not likely to bend, plus you did a visual inspection. But who knows what's going on inside the shifter? The shifter is really the brains of the operation. The cassette is just there, and the derailleur just does what the shifter tells it to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    I realize it is moot for the moment, but for future reference...

Yes, you are correct. You want to rotate the valve stem 1/4 turn, rotate the straightedge too, then measure to the stem again.

If the wheel is true, you are correct, you would get the same measurement.

The reason that you rotate the straightedge AND the wheel is that if the wheel is out-of-true, it won't affect the derailleur alignment measurements.

Anyway, you could replace just one item instead of getting a shifter and cassette. My bet is that it is the shifter. Those little cogs are pretty tough and not likely to bend, plus you did a visual inspection. But who knows what's going on inside the shifter? The shifter is really the brains of the operation. The cassette is just there, and the derailleur just does what the shifter tells it to.

Yea that is pretty much what I was thinking. I would think if I bent a cog I would have had to fall or something and that didn't happen when the problem arose. Jenson has a good return policy and that's where I bought the shifter. So if I put the new one on and it fixes the issue they said I could return the old one and get my money back since its within 60 days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

You say 9th to 8th cog. This means smallest up to second smallest? But you mention trigger, but 9to8 is a thumb shift?

You complete ask the initial adjustment following the shimano instructions including upper limit, lower limit, barrel adjustment.

Also, check your chain length is correct. If you change the amount of teeth, chain length may change.

You say barrel doesn't affect 9to8th, that's impossible. Try placing shifter on lowest 9th on shifter, and tightening barrel until it moves to 8th and aligned on 8th(shifter still on 9th). Then thumb shift and see of it goes clean to 7th.

Also, if you are new at this, include closeup pics of shifter, cable housing all the way to the derailleur, cassette and derailleur from multiple angles. Might help us catch something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    You say 9th to 8th cog. This means smallest up to second smallest? But you mention trigger, but 9to8 is a thumb shift?

You complete ask the initial adjustment following the shimano instructions including upper limit, lower limit, barrel adjustment.

Also, check your chain length is correct. If you change the amount of teeth, chain length may change.

You say barrel doesn't affect 9to8th, that's impossible. Try placing shifter on lowest 9th on shifter, and tightening barrel until it moves to 8th and aligned on 8th(shifter still on 9th). Then thumb shift and see of it goes clean to 7th.

Also, if you are new at this, include closeup pics of shifter, cable housing all the way to the derailleur, cassette and derailleur from multiple angles. Might help us catch something.
    When I mentioned trigger I was just lumping the shifters in as trigger shifters yes I am pushing with my thumb for the shift.

I will try to take some pictures tonight.

The barrel adjuster does effect it and tightening the cable with it eventually causes the chain to not go back down 9 from 8 without a serious amount of clicking. Even then when it does go to 9 and I shift back to 8 it still has some hesitation about 50% of the time. (I dont understand why this wouldnt make the shift quicker, like I remember it)

I will try what you say about tightening until it aligns with 8 when I have the shifter on 9 and see if the issue happens going from 8 to 7.

Pertaining to the chain length, when I had it installed professionally with the new derauilleuer and cassette and shifters they took some links out of the 9 speed chain so I kind figured they sized it correctly. It worked fine until this point so I would assume the chain wouldnt be the problem since I didnt add or reduce any more links and it worked fine before. It's only a month old as well.

I'm 99.9% sure the cables and derauiller are all dialed in correctly I was meticulous about everything. I also experimented with the B tension screw which didn't make the issue better nor worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast