1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Issue with Headset fit.

So I have a china 29er carbon. I purchased the headset directly form them *XMIPLAY). They say its an FSA no42. all the pieces in the picture were in a little box.

The headtube is for tapered forks. I received an adapter which was basically the crown race that fits my fork (not pictured but fits perfect)

However the headset either ends up too tight or too loose. Ive tried micro adjusting ,removing/adding headset spacers ,and I cant get things right. Either its so stiff it barely turns ,or so loose I can feel it move when braking or moving fork.

This is how I stacked them.

1. Dust cap on top with rubber washer inside.
    2.Red aluminum spacer/wedge with slot.
    3. Bearing (orange side facing outward.

Headset
    4. Bearing (Orange side outward)
    5. ???
    6. Crown race

Fork

Ive tried without #5 . With it between headset and bearing.

Issue with Headset fit.-headset.jpg

This is the link to my headset manual.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/storag...uctions_v3.pdf

Any ideas ?

mtbr member
    chances are the headset is not a true FSA headset. could be why you have fit issues.

FSA No.42 Carbon Tapered Headset - Felt Bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    chances are the headset is not a true FSA headset. could be why you have fit issues.

FSA No.42 Carbon Tapered Headset - Felt Bicycles
    Yeah I found it strange the dustcap was not the same as the one Ive seen online.

Does it appear Im stacking things correctly ?

mtbr member
    From the manual provided it looks like your missing some parts. however it looks like you have some things swapped around. based off of what you've provided i would try the following order for stacking.

the lower bearing needs to sit inside the lower cup from the bottom. Also from the pictures it looks like you have the wrong bearings in the wrong position due to the size of the lower cup and bearing. Also is the race pressed onto the fork or is it sitting loose?

mtbr member
    nevermind. i just realized the #4 bearing has a large ID for the tapered fork.

mtbr member
    This is how I'm stacking things.

Took it to LBS they thought the starnut was crooked. So I went home removed it and installed the compression one. Tried again. Same result.

It goes from super tight to shaky and loose in a half a turn. If I just put hand pressure it's fine.
    That piece I left out doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

I'm really annoyed at this point. Can someone point out via Amazon or U.S based site exactly what type of Headset I would need.
    I need to figure out if it's the headset or the head tube.

mtbr member
    No 5 is a crown race. You say "I received an adapter which was basically the crown race that fits my fork (not pictured but fits perfect)" So you have the crown race on already? So dont use no 5.

Crown race when fitted on fork should go straight into lower bearing, nothing else in between.

Unless I don't understand what you are asking of course..

mtbr member

Re: Issue with Headset fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign2Rider View Post
    No 5 is a crown race. You say "I received an adapter which was basically the crown race that fits my fork (not pictured but fits perfect)" So you have the crown race on already? So dont use no 5.

Crown race when fitted on fork should go straight into lower bearing, nothing else in between.

Unless I don't understand what you are asking of course..
    No 5 is crown race for tapered. The adapter which is also a crown race is installed on fork in the picture above. No5 is off to the side next to fork in my previous post.

I've tried it without it and with it, same at LBS. It's bizarre. Just too loose until half a turn things tighten up to the point you are using force to turn steering.

I'm not sure wth the problem is.

mtbr member
    that lower bearing looks like it is for a tapered steerer tube. it doesn't have a firm fit like the upper bearing has to the tube. you need an adapter for the lower bearing.

mtbr member

Re: Issue with Headset fit.

Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    that lower bearing looks like it is for a tapered steerer tube. it doesn't have a firm fit like the upper bearing has to the tube. you need an adapter for the lower bearing.
    What kind of adapter?
    I was told the crown race pictured was the adapter. (it's basically a larger version of a standard sized one)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just went and looked at a FSA headset still in the box. Looks to me like you have everything OK.
    My headset does not have the two piece top cap.
    When you put the compression ring on, are you making sure it is going down into the top bearing so the top cap can push it down?
    Do you see a spot on the top cap that will bear down on the compression ring? Do you even need that second ring on the top cap?

There have been other discussions on here about some headsets needing a thin shim added between the top cap and compression ring so that the top cap doesn't drag on the headset.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of a reducer bottom cup, but the crown race should have worked

mtbr member
    Going to HomeDepot see if they have anything that may help.
    Ill check when Im home how the top portion is fitting/compressing.

In the mean time does anyone know if these will be the same as the headset I need.
    FSA NO 42 Google search pulls up the second link.

Amazon.com: FSA Orbit 1.5ZS Zero Stack Internal Bicycle Headset: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: FSA Orbit C-40 Integrated Tapered Headset: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You probably have this figured out... and I will only address the bottom... if you have (6) Crown Race fitted properly to the tapered fork, then all you need on the bottom is (4) orange side down... some headtubes have a deep or higher bearing location and there's a spacer to use on top of that so that it fits up into the saddle of the frame headtube.

Use a crown race setting tool to make sure that the crown race is square... perhaps as an alternative take a 1.5" ID tube (something not so hard that it mars up the steel) with the end squared, and tap the crown race down, hopefully there's no flaw or debris to upset the seat.